Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh the People You'll Meet . . .

by Julie Coulter Bellon

I am right in the middle of a book signing tour and so far, it has been a really fun experience. Where else can you meet such a diverse group of people? For example, I have met people from Alabama, Florida, and Wyoming, who were stocking up on books before they went home. I met the Primary General President (which I thought was cool!). I’ve met people who don’t read fiction, and the second I say All’s Fair is a fiction book, they wrinkle up their nose like something just offended their senses. I’ve also chatted with store employees who love to dish on which authors are their favorites and which authors are most fun to have around, (and I’m not telling which ones they were, neener neener, but of course they all loved me!) I also got to meet our own blog commenters, Jon Spell and Pat! I wish I would have had more time with them, but it was nice to put the name to the face and chat for a few moments. You guys were great!

As you can see, I really love going to book signings because there’s just something about being behind that table that makes people want to tell you all about themselves. I don’t even need a couch, there’s just something about the table! I love that. This week alone I’ve heard about many different writing projects, I’ve heard opinions about people who read the books on CD’s, I’ve heard about babies that are due around the same time as me and what their names are, I’ve even heard about horrible blind date experiences! It’s just wonderful to make that connection with people, even if it’s only for a small moment.

I think one of the most rewarding experiences this week, however, was seeing how many people have donated to my charity drive, Skittles for Soldiers. Yesterday, a woman who doesn’t read anymore came in, and she didn’t buy any books, but she contributed what little she had to the drive. I’ve had emails from soldiers who have confirmed that these items we are donating are very needed and they do boost the morale of the troops. I’ve also had emails from family of these servicemen who are grateful that someone cares for their children, and from others who don’t live in our area, but still want to help. It has been incredibly humbling and life changing for me.

Can you tell it’s been a great week so far? I started it out with my TV appearance on Good Things Utah. If you missed it, you can see it here:

http://www.abc4.com/content/gtu/featured_on/story.aspx?content_id=3c37c7d6-1639-489f-afcc-e173953f3f59

I really have to thank all the bloggers and people who have helped me get the word out about Skittles for Soldiers. You know who you are and you have my deepest gratitude.

In addition to book signing fun and Skittles for Soldiers news, my book All’s Fair has been reviewed. Jennie Hansen’s review on Meridian is posted today and you can read it here:

http://www.ldsmag.com/books/080717stellar.html

And Alison Palmer from LDS Neighborhood reviewed it here:

http://alisonpalmer.blogspot.com/2008/07/alls-fair-by-julie-bellon.html

and Karlene Browning from Inksplasher reviewed it here (scroll down a bit until you see my picture/book cover):

http://inksplasher.blogspot.com/



I’m thrilled that people are liking the book so far. I also found out that the illustrious Jeffrey S. Savage (aka J. Scott Savage) bought a copy of my book as well, so I know that I’ve really arrived.

And speaking of arriving, if I don’t leave now, I will be late for my next book signings, so I better run.

I wonder who I'll meet today . . .


3 Comments:

At 7/17/2008 12:14 PM, Blogger Pat said...

Gosh, thanks for the mention Julie!
Meeting you was definitely a highlight for me!

You and Karlene have a strange and wonderful relationship - she's strange, you're wonderful...
(read her review)

Just kidding. Great blog, Best of luck on all your endeavors.

 
At 7/17/2008 12:41 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What an incredible thing it is you're doing!

Amazon.ca has failed me, I'm afraid. How often I'm tormented by reading reviews of fabulous books I can't get my hands on. Living in the middle of nowhere has its perks of course, but sometimes, oi...

 
At 7/18/2008 3:32 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Enjoyed meeting you, too, Julie. Sorry I (almost) missed you! I'm usually a lot better at time management, but I just had to finish reading that James Patterson book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home