Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I've Have My People Text Your People and We'll Do Lunch

by Stephanie Black

So there I was, headed to a YW presidents’ luncheon at the home of a sister in another ward. I’d looked up directions to her house online and they looked pretty straightforward, plus I’d been there once before, so I foolishly figured I’d be okay without writing the directions down. Granted, I couldn’t exactly remember the name of the street where I supposed to turn, but I knew it was Oak-something, so I figured I’d know the sign when I saw it. As it turned out, Oak was a recurring theme in street names in this area, and I didn’t know which Oak was the right one. Whoops. So I drove around a bit and made myself thoroughly late, then stopped and did the logical thing—took out my cell phone, called my sister in Phoenix (750 miles away) and asked her to look up directions for me. She went online, found directions, told me which Oak I wanted, and I was good to go.

Remember the olden days when getting directions meant unfolding one of those flappy paper maps (the ones I always had trouble re-folding correctly)? Now it’s easier for me to outsource direction questions to Phoenix. Technology is awesome, if slightly weird. Once my daughter asked me to stop by the home of one of the early morning seminary carpool mothers. My daughter had left a textbook in the carpool car and needed it back. By now, though, it was a bit past genteel visiting hours, being 9:30 at night. I knocked on the door, but no one answered. Even though I was sure the family was still awake, it seemed like a violation of door etiquette to pound on the door so late in the evening. So, standing on the doorstep, I took out my phone, called my daughter at home and asked her to instant message the family’s teenage son, who was likely on the computer. She instant messaged him and told him to go answer the door. Naturally, he was a bit confused, but he answered the door and I got the textbook. With technology like that, who needs doorbells?

I confess to finding cell phones very handy (yes, they can be overused and abused, but so can just about any technology). Cell phones are great for parents. We can go on a date, knowing if there's a problem, our kids can get in touch with us. Cell phones are also useful in large places like amusement parks, zoos, and Costco where you might lose track of members of your party. It’s very handy to be able to punch some buttons and say, “Where are you?” rather than wandering through endless aisles trying to spot your husband or daughter.

I'm still way behind the times, though, since I'm not into texting. Maybe I should work on that--especially since it's probably the most effective way to get messages out to the YW.

In other technology news, we went for a hike and picnic on President’s Day, and my husband and the kids went geocaching. They had a blast treasure-hunting around the mountain and found three different caches, including one hidden in a magnetic box on the underside of a cattle guard. Yes, my children were crawling around on a cattle guard (those metal grate things that cattle can't cross).

Gotta go get ready for a presidency meeting, though after writing this blog, meeting in person sounds so . . . retro. Next time, we’ll teleconference.


3 Comments:

At 2/20/2008 1:32 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Make sure you read Stephen King's book Cell and see what you think of cell phones afterwards!

(In the back of the book where there's a brief author description, it says "He does not own a cell phone.")


--FHL does own a cell phone, uses it rarely

 
At 2/20/2008 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, texting is a great way to get in touch with the YW. It was the only way I could ever contact any of them with info about firesides or mutual or whatever. :)

 
At 2/23/2008 7:38 PM, Blogger Josi said...

You gotta learn to text, it's awesome. YOu can take care of a whole conversation in a few words, I highly recommend it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home