Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Art

Different kind of blog today.

When I talk about art I tend to talk about books or TV or movies. I've neglected, on this blog, to ever talk about visual art. And... I'm going to neglect talking about it today as well, except to say that I have a lifelong love for the abstract. Often, when I'm particularly stressed, I sit at my computer and stare at these paintings.



Grey Alphabet, by Jasper Johns





Red Poppy, by Georgia O'Keefe





Untitled [Seagram Mural], by Mark Rothko





Red, Orange, Tan, and Purple, by Mark Rothko





Three Flags, by Jasper Johns





Blue, Green and Brown, by Mark Rothko


To the Unknown Voice, by Wassily Kandinsky



The Deep, by Jackson Pollack
(The Deep is my very favorite painting.)


5 Comments:

At 1/23/2008 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Robison, Amen.

 
At 1/23/2008 1:11 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Now I'm starting to understand . . .

 
At 1/24/2008 10:33 PM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I keep looking at The Deep and am finding it oddly disturbing...

What does it say about me that it scares me?

Nancy Allen

 
At 1/24/2008 10:42 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Hey Nancy, that's what I like about abstract art. While it's not exactly a Rorshach test, I love that the much of the meaning of the image is inferred by the viewer. For example, I've always found The Deep somewhat inspiring.

What we see is a product of our thoughts, memories and culture. Something about that image reminds you of other scary images or experiences that you've seen. Personally, when I look at The Deep, it's almost like I'm looking through clouds and glimpsing something of eternity. I love it.

 
At 1/24/2008 11:05 PM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Oh, mercy, you're right! I stared at it some more and now I realize it reminds me of a scene from the movie version of Stephen King's Thinner.

Uck. I'm actually laughing now...I think I like your interpretation so much better.

Nancy Allen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home