Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Time Flies

First of all, huge congratulations to the Whitney finalists!

Second of all, today is another mini-blog. So sorry. I promise I'll actually write a real blog one of these days. But I've been up to my eyeballs in Whitney stuff, and when we finished that, it was full speed ahead on my audio abridgment, which is due tomorrow. Word count curently stands at 56, 471. The audio department wants 54K. I'm hoping they'll take 55K, if delivered with a pleading look and an air of desperation. My family suggests cutting out extra words by hacking off the end of the story and making it a cliff hanger--"If you want to find out what happens, you'll have to READ THE BOOK!" Jeff Savage would no doubt take this route.

Actually, I'm pretty pleased with the abridgment so far--as pleased as a writer can ever be with a process that involves slicing, dicing, hacking, and squeezing the heck out of a novel. I think the story even makes sense, though I could be wrong. I'm going back through it now and I'm worried that I cut too much of the explanation on the Elvis cloning incident. Without adequate backstory, it really doesn't make sense that Martha Stewart would be so involved.

In other news, here's a picture of a writer's clock that my husband gave me for Christmas. He took a regular clock and created his own background for it. Though you can't see it in the picture, the background consists of tons of quotes about writing. I love it.


17 Comments:

At 1/16/2008 1:20 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

What a cool looking clock!

 
At 1/16/2008 1:24 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

You get royalties twice a day?

 
At 1/16/2008 1:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, Marcia!

Don't you get royalties twice a day, Rob? Oops. How awkward.

Actually the clock took certain artistic licenses. For instance, it's missing "rejection". Too bad real life doesn't follow that example.

 
At 1/16/2008 1:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Oh, I love the clock. What a great idea!

 
At 1/16/2008 1:56 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

First: I love the clock!

Second: use the law of computers - if they said 54K, and technically, a K is 1024, so 54K = 55296 words.

 
At 1/16/2008 2:32 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Your husband is SO a keeper! Love the clock -- just wish I could see the quotes. Next year he'll have to update it with ABRIDGE. Sigh. Hate that process! Good luck to you!

PS - You always come up with the best mini-blogs in the world! How do you do that?

 
At 1/16/2008 2:36 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

What a great clock! But I agree that it needs a rejection slot. And I would need a lot more of the brainstorming time.

 
At 1/16/2008 2:46 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Is that a bad thing? Everyone loves a good cliffhanger right? Great clock.

 
At 1/16/2008 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you add a couple of ly adverbs to your clock somewhere bewteen 12:00 am and midnight right after your royalty check arrives and before you start brainstorming. I think they call it lost time. That's the paralell universe time when those three mythic mystery seconds that not even an atomic clock can track disappear in the farthest reach of our orbit around the sun. That's also the same place where my matching sock is stashed. Anyone seen it?

David Woolley

 
At 1/16/2008 8:08 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Fabulous clock. But it reminds me that I never properly thanked you for the Christmas presents. Now, I just need to procure some beer so I can use it!

 
At 1/17/2008 12:59 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Oh, Stephanie- that is awesome! What a great clock. I want one. Your husband should start selling them. ;-)

Nancy Allen

 
At 1/17/2008 2:01 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I'll tell my husband the clock was a hit and he can quit his day job! Thanks, everyone!

David, if you ever find out where lost socks go, send me a map.

Evil, since if you buy beer you are sure to run into your Stake President while you are checking out at the grocery store, I recommend fruit juice or soda.

Jon, thanks for the math tip! Now I have extra words!

 
At 1/17/2008 9:26 AM, Blogger Josi said...

I sometimes feel a little left out that I've never had an audio book, then I hear stories like this and my face starts to twitch. maybe it's not so bad.

LOVE the clock!

 
At 1/17/2008 12:09 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Cool clock!!! Tell your husband he has a hit on his hands. I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.

 
At 1/17/2008 2:12 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I would too!

Seriously, start taking orders. I think we all want one.

 
At 1/17/2008 9:41 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

I NEED one of those clocks. Me! Me! Me!

Do you cut out chapter headings? I know I'm getting desperate when I'm deleting "chapter one" just to get the word count down by two.

 
At 1/17/2008 11:41 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Hey, chapter headings! I could have gotten rid of fifty words that way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home