Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, July 12, 2007

I Have An Announcement

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Last week I received the news that Covenant Communications has accepted my new manuscript for publication. I’m really excited about joining their company and thought I would share that with you today. It does mark the end of an era, however, since I was the only non-Covenant author on this blog. *sniff*

I also wanted to take this opportunity to publicly thank Spring Creek Books for taking a chance on me as a new author three years ago. They have published four of my books since then and I am forever indebted to them. Chad Daybell is easily one of the most professional and frankly, just plain amazing, people in this business. He is so supportive of his authors and I am sad to leave that safety net, but happy to have his blessing.

So it is with some trepidation, but lots of optimism, that I make this move to Covenant. And, I really can’t wait for you all to read my new book that is slated for release next spring/summer.

Do you want to know what this new book is about? Want a little preview? All right, you talked me into it.

There is no guarantee they will choose my incredibly fitting title that I’ve chosen, so I won’t list that here, but here's a sneak peek at the book.

It’s about Brandon Shepherd, a doctor serving in Iraq who goes for a dust-off with his colleague, Dr. Rachel Fielding, to help two seriously wounded soldiers in the field, and they both are captured by insurgents when their helicopter is attacked. The situation gets even more difficult when the doctors realize that they are now in the middle of a terrorist plot that could bring down a nation. Their captors then ask them to do something that no patriotic American would ever do---and it pushes them both to their emotional and physical limits.

Of course a mission to find and rescue the doctors is mounted by the Americans and Brandon's sister, Kristen---who is one of the top political consultants in the U.S.---tries to help using her connections. Kristen ends up mired in the dangerous situation herself when she realizes that someone very close to her could be involved not only in the kidnapping of her brother, but in the terrorist organization itself.

It is a story of political intrigue, conspiracy, and danger, showing that freedom is worth fighting for, that trust can have a high price, and sometimes lines that have been drawn have to be crossed.

What do you think? Does it sound like something you would read? I hope so. :)

I have to say that I couldn't have done any of this without the help of Corporal Matthew Blair, who has served two tours of duty in Iraq and was an invaluable source of information for me in sharing his experiences there. In researching this book, I have gained a real appreciation for the sacrifice of all the men and women of the military and what they go through every day. So, Matt, if you’re reading this, you have my deepest admiration not only for your service, but also for your patience in answering all my questions to make this book as accurate as possible. Thank you!

And now, will you please join with me in sackcloth and ashes for the sadness of no longer being the only non-Covenant author on this blog. Then throw back the ashes, (keep the sackcloth if you didn’t bring anything else to wear) and join with me in the party of finally being included with the other Covenant authors on this blog. (Maybe we should link arms and sing Kumbaya or something? Rob? Stephanie? No? Okay, never mind.)


20 Comments:

At 7/12/2007 1:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That is so exciting for you...i just threw some ashes too. Your book sounds intriguing, can't wait to read it next year.

 
At 7/12/2007 3:19 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

At least you're still the only author from Canada on the blog. Can't take that away from you.

 
At 7/12/2007 3:28 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Congratulations and welcome into the Covenant people.

Technically, though. I am now a non-Covenant author. I mean I'm also a Covenant author since I am still publishing with them, but since I am also writing for Shadow Mountain, doesn't that also make me a non-Covenant author too.

 
At 7/12/2007 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Julie! It sounds like a great book and I can hardly wait to read it. You're other books were excellent-well you know my views on each of them-and I figured it was only a matter of time until you joined us at Covenant. Hmm-this means next year you'll be eligible to be a victim or villian at the Murder Mystery Dinner. Kerry might even let you write it!

 
At 7/12/2007 3:38 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

We are Covenant. Resistance is useless.

Hooray for Julie! I'm sure the book will be awesome.

 
At 7/12/2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks Erin!

Jon, that's true, I'm still unique that way.

Jeff, since you still write for Covenant you are still considered a Covenant author in my book. You've just expanded a bit! (Congrats by the way) :) Does that mean, YOU will sing Kumbaya with me?

Jennie, thank you for the welcome. I can't wait for the Mystery Dinner. No one could ever fill the master's shoes on writing that though. Kerry Blair is truly amazing!

 
At 7/12/2007 3:42 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Rob, why are you being so nice to me all of the sudden? *narrows eyes suspiciously*

 
At 7/12/2007 4:08 PM, Blogger Rebecca Talley said...

Julie,

Congratulations. That's very exciting and your book sounds wonderful!

 
At 7/12/2007 4:28 PM, Blogger Josi said...

Spectacular! Go put some gravy on your fries and celebrate, aye?

 
At 7/12/2007 5:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Congratulations, Julie, and welcome to the Covenant gang! Your book sounds like a real nail-biter. I see "bestseller" written all over it!

 
At 7/12/2007 5:41 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks Rebecca and Stephanie. I'm glad you liked the little blurb. I'm really excited for this project.

Josi, I would love some fries and gravy or a Caramilk or some All Dressed chips right about now. But alas, I have no Canadian care package. Mom, if you're reading this . . .

:)

 
At 7/12/2007 6:35 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Julie, Great news! :)

 
At 7/12/2007 6:42 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Very exciting. Welcome to the family :)

 
At 7/12/2007 8:09 PM, Blogger Michele Holmes said...

Wow! The book sounds fantastic. Congratulations. I can't wait to read it.

 
At 7/12/2007 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the person who contributed Cpl Blair's e-mail address, Julie let me read part of her book. It totally blew me away. As a big JCB fan, I expected it to be fabulous, but it was...um...a word better than fabulous. (Give me a break. On top of everything else, now I'm super-sick. I don't remember praying for patience, I don't know how all this happened to me! :-)

ANYWAY, Julie's gift for characterization is a thing of beauty and these are some of the greatest "people" you'll ever meet. But what really impressed me was the way she pulled me into the scenes and made me feel like I was stumbling over branches and/or choking on the dust. (We're talking goose bumps, people. Really.) The Iraqi scenes were maybe a little too intense for me, considering that Matt is back in the "sandbox" -- but great writing for sure!

With this book and Stephanie's and six or eight by Jeff all coming out next spring it looks like the 2008 Whitneys are going to be the hottest event on the planet. I can't wait!

 
At 7/12/2007 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beware: Don't sign the right of firest refusal. Just say you'd rather not. They'll work with. I promise. Just say, can we take that clause out of the contract. They won't even bat an eye. Be firm. Be confident. Be polite. But be sure to put your foot down. NO RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL!

 
At 7/13/2007 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Julie! This book sounds exciting and I'll look forward to reading it. If you don't mind my asking, what made you switch from Spring Creek to Covenant? It wasn't Frog Peer Pressure, was it?

Melanie Goldmund

 
At 7/13/2007 10:29 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Yay, Julie! Congrats!

 
At 7/14/2007 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie, it WAS frog peer pressure! I wanted to be "in" with the cool crowd in this bog!

Julie

 
At 7/15/2007 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you make sure your book is well publicized with a spring/summer release. As an employee of Seagull Book, I have noticed that with Covenant releases that are spring/summer it is really either hit or miss, but lately there have been some great hits (Counting Stars, Chaos, etc.) Congratulations!

Jacob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home