Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

My New Website

by Stephanie Black

I’m excited to announce that I have a website. A website has been on my ought-to-be-done list for a long time (that’s a step down from a to-do list). I don’t know the first thing about creating a website and figured I wouldn’t have time to think about it until I finish the novel I’m working on. Then my sweet husband surprised me by creating a website for me. The template on this website is easy enough that even I—the biggest techno-doofus on the planet—have learned how to do some editing. But I still haven’t learned how to work with pictures. For the record, that giant eyeball picture wasn’t one that I added. One of these days I'll learn how to swap it for something else--though it does kind of fit the Orwellian ambience of my first book. I’m not sure how the peacock applies, but man, it’s a cool peacock.

In additional to a giant eyeball and wildlife, my website also offers original poetry, composed by our own poet-in-residence. No, the poet isn't me. I specialize in creepy, not poetic.

If you get a chance, drop by my website and let me know what you think. What do you enjoy seeing on author websites? What makes you want to come back?


6 Comments:

At 11/15/2006 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love seeing sample chapters from every book that the author has ever written, especially the ones that are going to be published soon. Even better is exclusive material such as short stories that you can't find anywhere else, interviews, and other such things.

What makes me come back? Contests, mostly, or a regular blog (but since you're blogging here, you don't necessarily have to blog extra at "home.") In any case, something new and exciting that makes me glad I clicked on that link, instead of saying to myself, "This website hasn't changed since January 26th two years ago."

Melanie Goldmund

 
At 11/15/2006 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great website Stephanie! I enjoyed the "about me" blurb. You've traveled A LOT with your family. And I enjoyed learning about your education and a bit about your family. I would expect that your history degree will inspire some more interesting stories now that you've honed your storytelling skills over the years through a little blood, sweat and tears. I didn't see the "EYE" picture. The website colors (yellow and orange shag) look like another era of houses in the Bay Area which shouldn't be priced as high as they are. But they are comfortable and warm enough I wasn't turned off. I really like the simplicity of the site. That is the big thing these days in web design. Goggle just has a little search window and look how successful they've become. What keeps me coming back? Free gifts and money. But since you proabably don't have anything to give away or money to throw away, the other thing that keeps me coming back is some insightful commentary on world events and news, some down home over the fence wisdom about life, some words about family life or daily activities that warm the soul and also a few gospel insights along the way. Good luck with your website. I will put it in my favorites. All the best...

 
At 11/15/2006 2:59 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

I love your husband's poetry.

 
At 11/15/2006 4:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The poetry is awesome! I love it. It cracks me up.

 
At 11/15/2006 8:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. And I'll let my husband know that his poetry got good reviews. He's having a lot of fun with those poems.

The eyeball picture is under "This and That" in the photo section.

 
At 11/15/2006 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site.

I agree, you need something updated regularly. Awful poem of the week might not be quite enough, though. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home