Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, November 04, 2006

NaNoWriMo

by Sariah S. Wilson

I see that Kerry has already done a post addressing this topic, but it is late and I just got back from the temple for my younger brother's endowment session (and I still find it hard to believe that he's leaving for the MTC in 11 days), which is much harder than it sounds. The temple is two hours away, the session is two hours, and, not surprisingly, the drive back is also two hours. When we went to pick up our children, my 7-year-old asked us where we went and what took us so long. I reminded him that we went to the temple, and then he said, "Where was it? On the other side of the world?"

Perspective is everything. Six hours to a 7-year-old means traveling to the other side of the world. For some people, the idea of writing a novel is also like traveling the globe. The nice thing about NaNoWriMo is it gives you the chance to see that the best way to scale a mountain is one step at a time.

I have signed up over at latterdayauthors.com, and I like having the accountability and having to own up to my daily word count. Many people make resolutions in January. If you're looking to write your own book, this is the month to make that resolution. Give yourself a goal. Even if it's 50 words a day or 15 minutes of writing, resolve that you'll just do it. Start now.

Today's word count - 264 words (which is the length of this blog.)


1 Comments:

At 11/07/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

I won't consider it a failure to not have finished a novel because that's not my goal for the month. I'm one of those NaNoWriMoLite people. I have a daily goal and this month is inspiring me to meet it. The accountability really helps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home