Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Day of Mess and Chocolate

by Stephanie Black

I’m knee deep in candy wrappers, discarded costumes, trick-or-treat bags too heavy to lift, unfolded laundry and popcorn. Breakfast was a bowl of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups with milk. Lunch will be melted Milky Ways on a tortilla. Dinner will be a Tootsie Pop stuck in a potato with a side of Nerds.

Post-Halloween Thoughts:

*If I were a school teacher, I would petition to make Halloween the last Friday in October so the kids would have the weekend to recover. Would you want to deal with a classroom full of kids who were up late the night before running around the neighborhood and eating their body weight in sugar? Me neither.

*We vacuum packed most of the kids’ loot from the church trunk or treat and stuck it on the food storage shelves. This was a measure undertaken to assuage my conscience at attending the trunk or treat when, really, the kids don’t need a double dose of trick or treating. But I love Halloween so much that I couldn’t bring myself to boycott the event. My visiting teacher suggested storing the candy, so I did. What do you bet it won’t outlast the pinto beans?

*When we save the seeds from our pumpkins, it’s traditional to let them rot in the fridge instead of actually toasting them and eating them.

*If you do crunches while balancing a bowl of leftover candy on your abdomen, does it count double?

*Do you realize that Darth Vader has been a popular Halloween costume for nearly thirty years? We’ve never had a Darth Vader. Just a Princess Leia.

*Speaking of a galaxy far, far away I messed up at the trunk or treat and called a young Jedi “Obi-Wan”. “I’m Luke,” he said indignantly. Whoops. A costume faux pas.

*I actually got a bit of revision done on my book last night between rings of the doorbell. I’m delighted to find that as I read back through the story it seems, well, creepy. Wahoo! My daughter came home from school once and reported on a friend who was reading a manuscript of mine. “Mom, he’s scared of you,” she reported. This makes me feel gleeful. Do you think I could share this experience during the Good News Minute in Relief Society?

*Kevin Conneff is a great singer. That has nothing to do with Halloween, but I’ve been listening to Irish music this morning.

Happy November! I gotta go inventory the candy.


4 Comments:

At 11/01/2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Great blog!

I was particularly interested to read of your costume faux pas. I called a little Jedi at our Primary Halloween party "Luke" and he said, "Who?" Totally clueless. Because I just had to know, I went over to see if the little five-year-old Leia had any idea who she was. She didn't. She said it was her mother's old costume. (I've heard of saving wedding dresses for your daughter to wear someday, but Halloween costumes?) Anyway, thirty years (and counting) indeed. . .

PS - I'm kinda scared of you, too, Stephanie. Sweet, Sunbeam-teaching, violin-playing Mommy on the surface, but in the dark recesses of that writer's brain of yours -- watch out!

 
At 11/01/2006 6:37 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

You know, when my book group read The Believer someone asked me if Stephanie was normal. Well, kind of...

We stopped saving the pumpkin seeds. We know we won't roast them.

And on old costumes, I got an Indiana Jones last night.

 
At 11/01/2006 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning I heard of a man who was convicted of murdering his wife because Google turned over to investigaters a list of the topics the guy had googled. All I can say is there are some of us who better hope none of our near and dear ever go missing or worse.

 
At 11/02/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Congrats, FHL, on your 1st place story! That's awesome. VERY creepy story! Yikes!

I've made some mighty strange Google searches in my day. Hmm, I'd better keep on the right side of the law.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home