Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Things That Irritate Me Today

By Sariah S. Wilson

Things usually irritate me on a fairly regular basis, but I’m in a semi-grumpy mood today and so I am going to share some things that have recently driven me nuts.

Today we went to the pumpkin patch. For several years we’ve been going to this wonderful place - Irons Fruit Farm. They always have animals for the kids to pet/feed, donkeys to ride on, a hay ride out to a pumpkin patch, and a wonderful store and bakery that have the most amazing donuts I have ever eaten.

Donuts that I stood in line over an hour for today.

No joke.

The problem is that our nice, quaint, beautiful farm is no longer much of a secret. There were so many people there today we could barely move. It was a total nightmare trying to find a spot to park in - I saw one verbal altercation go down over a parking spot. What used to be this fun, relaxing and enjoyable experience is now so overcrowded that I’m not sure I want to go back. I couldn’t believe how long I had to stand in line to get my donuts. But they really are the best donuts ever, and almost worth the hour-long wait.

Don't even get me started on the mud there. I thought I might get sucked into the bowels of the earth.

I’m also peeved at people who think “Right Turn Only” lanes don’t apply to them. You know the ones I’m talking about. Not the people who accidentally get in the lane - they’re the ones who stop and put on their blinkers. No, I’m talking about the people who get over in that lane and then try to zip into traffic on the left side ahead of everyone else, not caring who has to slam on their brakes or how close they come to hitting someone else. I had one guy get into the right turn only lane and go straight through the intersection and drive on the shoulder trying to pass everyone. Maybe this isn’t a problem where you live. It is an ENORMOUS problem here in Ohio. Especially near my house. Right turn only means RIGHT TURN ONLY - not speed up fast and try to pass everyone on the left.

The third one is the one that most upsets me - we have a special ice cream place near where I live that serves amazing soft serve cones. I took my 4-year-old there the other day and shortly after we sat down, two other families arrived. The first was a mom with her three children - all blonde and very active. The next woman came with her two sons, who both looked to be adopted from Guatemala. I’m hyperaware of this sort of thing these days, and I enjoyed watching her little boys as they played. We were there eating for about 20 minutes (my son is the slowest eater known to man) until it was time to leave. When I went back to my car, I happened to glance into the car next to me. There in that SUV in the back seat was a baby, a little Guatemalan girl, who just stared at me. She was dressed in a coat and warm clothes despite the fact that it was a very warm day (and my own car was extremely hot when I got in). I stood there with my mouth hanging open. This woman had left her baby in the car by herself while she went to enjoy ice cream with her boys. She was out of sight of the car, and would have been unable to hear that baby cry or scream if something had been wrong.

I didn’t know what to do, and before I could make any sort of rational decision (in shock as I was), the woman returned to her car with her sons, glaring at me the entire time. I still stood there as she drove away.

How could anyone want a baby that badly, go to the lengths I know she had to go to in order to adopt that baby and then leave her in the car like she was a bag of groceries?

I wish I had done something. I wish I had written down her license plate and called Child Protective Services. But by the time I got myself together, it was too late.

I could only resolve to not be so indecisive the next time, and to know now what action I would take in the future.

I still worry and wonder about that little girl.


1 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 5:57 PM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

I have seen news reports where car jackers have stolen a car with a baby in the back seat. I have also seen news reports where a baby has been stolen out of a car when the mother went inside (just for a second) perhaps along with calling the police you could leave a taped copy of the news reports. of course the woman may not watch it. but at least you would be able to feel that you have explained why you called the authorities.

as far as overcrowding and stupid drivers, I'm right there with you. I also wonder why they put cruise control in cars these days. I am constantly having to turn it off because someone has see the car length that I keep between me and the car in front of me. they have to get over right in front of me and slow down. Hope you enjoyed the donuts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home