Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Wonders of MySpace

By Sariah S. Wilson

So on Thursday I finally figured out what MySpace is for.

I never quite understood the concept. It’s how my mom and her sisters feel about blogs. When my mom told one of her sisters about my blog, the sister asked what she was supposed to do with it. What was it for? That’s how I feel about MySpace. Like, what is the point? To put up pictures of yourself without buying a domain? To run a cooler blog than what’s done on sites like Blogger.com? To link messages to your friends that refuse to make any sort of grammatical sense?

Let me set the scene for you.

The allergies had kicked in (and a special thank you to my father for that later in life genetic surprise) and I accidentally took the not non-drowsy kind of allergy medicine before I took my youngest son to preschool. The medication atom-bombed me. On the ride home I was a little worried that I might pass out in the car, but I managed to make it home okay.

I crawled into bed, set my alarm (and because it is the end of the year school got out an hour early which severely cut into my naptime) and passed out. The alarm went off, I groggily came downstairs, slipped on my shoes, picked up my keys, and then I just stopped.

I felt like I should check my email.

It didn’t make any sense - I needed to hurry up and get out the door so that I could pick up my son. But I couldn’t shake off the nagging sensation so I sat down at my computer to quickly peruse my email.

I had a message from my husband telling me to go out to my brother-in-law’s (husband’s brother) MySpace site.

It was then that I discovered that MySpace is for finding out that your brother-in-law eloped three weeks earlier to Vegas with a girl you didn’t even know he was dating.

I also discovered that severe shock is enough to cure you of any tiredness.


1 Comments:

At 6/04/2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Hmmm...and I always thought MySpace was for giving parents sleepless nights. You learn all sorts of interesting things about your children when you discover they have a "space" before they discover you're even looking for it. Then the question is, what do you do about it? Besides locking them in their rooms and grounding them for the next 400 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home