Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

From My Lily Pad to Yours; or, There's a New Frog on the Pond

Frederick the Frog here, writing to you from the lovely shores of Tickarpy Swamp. Recently, my good friend Ike the Iguana put me in touch with one Miss Sariah, saying she was looking for a frog for her pond.

And here I am.

So, what am I doing here? That's a good question. There's a good chance I may end up just sitting here and catching flies, but that could get boring after awhile. So I will most likely natter on about whatever it is I feel inclined to natter on about--Mister Rob's always good to provide ample fodder for nattering. Maybe I'll harp on my writing pet peeves or philosophize about LDS publishing trends. Or maybe I'll borrow a page from Miss Snark's book and answer your publishing questions (kinda like LDS Publisher, but since my experiences are different, you'll likely get a different take from me). I like what Evil Editor is doing, so maybe I'll tackle a query letter or synopsis here and there. Ooh. Maybe it'd be fun to interpret rejection letters. I guess we'll see. In the meantime, feel free to send me questions. I may or may not answer them; I'm finicky that way.

Oh, and Miss Sariah tells me I should tell you why you care about my opinion. To be honest, you don't. (I know that we all look for that person who will tell us what we want to hear.) But in case you do, I've been an editor for quite some time now. I'm not a writer, and don't ever expect to be one. I've edited phenomenal books and authors. I've edited not-so-phenomenal books and authors. I can make a poor book good and a good book great. (I'm also a bit cocky, if you hadn't noticed. Nor am I known for my tact, but I'm sure you'll figure that out soon enough.) I'm not currently involved in the day-to-day operations, but I still have my webbed toes in the pond, and my connections run deep and wide.

Anyway, that's me on a lily pad. I'll be croaking at you soon.


8 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 8:23 PM, Blogger McKenna Gordon said...

"Kinda like LDS Publisher".... what's the link to LDS Publisher? I keep hearing about it!

 
At 5/25/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Welcome, Frederick! (Or is that Mr. Frog to me?) I have a question. Say that a friend of a friend of my cousin's gecko wants to pick that fertile froggy brain of yours by sending something for critique. Where would I...I mean SHE...send it? Obviously the Internet access is great here in your bog, but do you have your own e-mail address?

Give my best to Ike. His memory being what it is, you might have to remind him that Harry the Gila Monster introduced us. (I was the one without scales.)

 
At 5/25/2006 10:15 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Kerry, perhaps it's time you see a doctor. (You know, the kind with the white coats and the straight jackets?)

 
At 5/25/2006 11:21 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

That is a perfectly good question, Robison. One I'm sure dozens of other people are asking. It's not like you could post a whole synposis and/or query here in the comments section. Where will Mr. Frog get all those letters to answer?

And may I point out that I'M not the one with the conspiracy theorist hotline? OR all the make-believe friends on his blog. So I talk to Gila Monsters, they're better than the monsters you come up with. When the boys with the white jackets mobilize, it will be in Utah, not Arizona. :-)

 
At 5/25/2006 12:12 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I misspoke. (Mis-typed?) My monsters are not "better" in any way. They are simply kinder and gentler. Rob has a gift for creating monsters of the truly chilling variety. Anybody who wants proof of that need only visit those websites I mentioned.
(See Rob's earlier blogs for the addresses.)

 
At 5/25/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Too late, Sister Blair. I'm irreparably offended.

 
At 5/25/2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Don't you mean offensive?

Mark Twain said that the difference between the right word and the almost-right word is like the difference between lightning and lightningbug.

However, what say we feud off-list and leave these nice people alone?

 
At 5/25/2006 1:00 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Meaning: you want to use language inappropriate for this setting? Fair enough. I know how you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home