Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Say Cheese

By Sariah S. Wilson

I completely hate having my picture taken. Loathe it. Instead of fire and brimstone, my torment would be people continually taking my picture and then publishing it for all of the underworld to see and mock.

When I look at a picture of myself all I can see are the flaws and all the things wrong with how goofy I look. It makes it worse when you have an extremely photogenic husband and children. Family portraits feel like “one of these things is not like the other.”

Celebrities have these issues too - even the perfect looking ones. Tyra Banks, supermodel and entrepreneur extraordinaire, talked on one of her shows about her imperfections that bothered her. She said she had cellulite all over the back of her legs and as a result, she never wears anything that would show it. I saw her on a runway and although she was modeling something from Victoria’s Secret, she did indeed have a gauzy cape sort of thing on that covered the back of her legs.

Jaclyn Smith, an original Charlie’s Angel and easily one of the most beautiful women alive, was asked once if she had things about her appearance that bothered her. She replied that of course she did, but that she would never tell anyone what they were because from then on people would only focus on the negative. They would no longer see Jaclyn Smith, they would only see her imperfections.

Jaclyn Smith is right. Taking Tyra Banks as an example - every time I see her now my eyes immediately shoot to her legs, perhaps in solacing myself that even the beautiful people have worries about flaws.

I just finished up my line edits for my first book and my editor pointed out things that I was doing that I wasn’t even aware of. They became glaringly obvious to me as I read through my manuscript again and all I could do was focus on them.

I considered coming onto the blog and talking about my particular quirks in writing and how I had to eliminate them to make my story stronger. But then I realized that if I pointed out the imperfections that it would be all the reader could see. They’d be focused on the mechanics of writing instead of enjoying the story.

So if you want to find out for yourself what I do when I write (I left some of them in), you’re going to have to buy the book, but only if you promise not to mock my author picture.

P.S. - A very Happy Birthday to my son Kaleb, he’s seven years old today!


5 Comments:

At 5/14/2006 2:39 AM, Blogger oshee said...

Sariah,

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your posts here. I love your voice. Even when discussing your imperfections and worries you still come across positive and happy.
Thank you.

 
At 5/15/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

Wow, I am so old! I can't believe Kaleb is seven. Well, I have read your stuff, I haven't noticed any imperfections. So keep up the good work!

PS- what is going on with your book? Have they gotten a cover for it yet?

 
At 5/15/2006 1:23 PM, Blogger Darvell Hunt said...

I love cellulite. It turns me on.

Anonymous

 
At 5/17/2006 6:08 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

oshee, you are so nice. I can't tell you how it made my day to read that. :)

Elizabeth, my slacker sister who didn't even call her nephew on his birthday, no cover yet. They're still working on it. Hopefully soon, but we'll see.

 
At 5/18/2006 4:46 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I called on his birthday! I talked to Kevin, then Kaleb got on the phone and said he couldn't talk because he was watching T.V. So I talked to Kevin a little longer and then hung up and did homework. I always remember everyone's birthday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home