Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

LDS Bookseller's Association Recap and Photo Blog

by J. Scott Savage (not really)

As I said on Monday, I've been at the LDSBA Convention all week. And let me tell you--it's been great. I've met a lot of wonderful people and they've met a lot of wonderful me.

I'm selling three books there this year. I know! I can hardly believe it myself. I'm much more prolific than other authors I could name.

The first book is my much-anticipated LDS horror novel, Brother Brigham's Ghoul. The basic story is this: there's Brother Brigham, and he's got this ghoul. It pretty much wrote itself.

The second book is the much-anticipated third installment of the Shandra Covington series. I don't want to talk about it too much--I don't want to give away any spoilers!--but here's a tantalizing teaser: Bobby, now long dead, left Shandra one million dollars in his will. But there's a catch! To get the money, she has to spend the night in the spooky old haunted house (and fill out some paperwork). (Can she get it notarized before the deadline!?!?)

The third book is the latest Farworld novel, Farworld: Swamp Keep. What's that you ask? Why is there a leprechaun in a swamp? Sounds to me like someone needs to read the book!

So, here are a few pictures chronicling my experience at LDSBA, hobnobbing with the glittering literati.

The day started off with sushi. I made all of it myself, having practiced for months. Unfortunately, all the friends I invited couldn't make it. They were so busy, in fact, that they didn't even have time to call and say they couldn't come. Like I said, it's pretty busy at LDSBA.

I had a booksigning at noon, and was excited to see the crowd of people waiting. Turns out they were waiting for the Stephanie Black signing two booths over.

However, there still was a line waiting for me. (My friend is the warden, and I called in a favor.)

Here's a picture of my wife, Jen, discovering that Annette Lyon had fallen fast asleep. Little-known fact about Annette: Narcolepsy.

Here's a picture of James Dashner shoplifting a book. Little-known fact about James: kleptomania. (Notice how he's not even trying to hide it. Another little-known fact about James Dashner: desperate for attention, even if it's only from the cops.)

Here's a picture of Rob Wells on the phone, talking to someone very important. Little-known fact about Rob: he's brilliant and handsome. (Just kidding! That's widely-known.)

The dinner table at the restaurant. No one has come yet, but, like I said, they're very busy people. And I'm beginning to wonder if there was a problem with my Evite.

They asked me to remove my books from the booth. They're so touchy! All I said was that I could write Gerald Lund under the table with one hand tied behind my back. (And I called Dean Hughes a hack.) Haven't these guys ever heard of good-natured ribbing? It was all in fun!


The hospital. Like I said, they're so touchy. Lund, Hughes, and Weyland were all waiting behind the convention center. Uh, brass knuckles are illegal, Jack!


11 Comments:

At 8/05/2009 8:35 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Something tells me this would be funnier if I knew Jeff...or should I say J.? Still had a great ole chuckle though.

 
At 8/05/2009 10:41 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Thanks, Rob. Since I have to miss Booksellers this year, it's nice to have such a colorful and accurate pictorial of the event. One problem though, I don't think Gerald Lund is there, though his new book is. I have it on good authority that he's down in the Hole-in-the-Rock vicinity.

 
At 8/06/2009 12:33 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Too bad I missed you today, I'll be there tomorrow.

 
At 8/06/2009 1:49 AM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Sounds like a great day :)

 
At 8/06/2009 9:56 AM, Blogger Karlene said...

Funny. Sorry I missed all this. I have long been awaiting the release of A Time to Refrain from Embracing! :)

 
At 8/06/2009 11:27 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Oh my freaking hilarious . . .

(I can totally explain that picture.)

 
At 8/06/2009 2:36 PM, Blogger Josi said...

You totally stole my post! Right down to the sushi--except that my friends, came, of course.

 
At 8/07/2009 4:54 PM, Blogger Lu Ann Brobst Staheli said...

I almost wet my pants laughing at the FarWorld: Swamp Keep book cover.

 
At 8/08/2009 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Lu Ann. Swamp Keep looks hilarious and the words under the author name on the Shandra books made me outright guffaw.

 
At 8/09/2009 11:42 PM, Blogger Danyelle Ferguson said...

LOL! You are so funny, Jeff!

Seriously, when does the 3rd Shandra book come out???

 
At 8/13/2009 9:26 PM, Anonymous James Dashner & J. Scott Savage Fan said...

dont you dare dis James oh you will regret it he actually has fans who care about him and kinda stalks him but thats not the point......and seriously are you like way jelous of jeff.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home