Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

by Julie Coulter Bellon

I finally crawled into bed at 2 a.m. this morning after a great New Year’s Eve party. I love parties and look forward every year to our family New Year’s Eve party. We get shrimp, we have a chocolate fountain to dip stuff in, crackers and a cheeseball, chips and dip, and lots of pizza. We play board games and have Wii tournaments and then as we countdown to midnight, I get my crystal champagne glasses down and everyone, from my oldest child to my youngest (well, okay, not the baby) toast the new year with all kinds of sparkling cider.

This year, however, was a little different. For the first time, my older children were gone to their own parties. The house was a little quieter, but we still did all the same things we’ve always done with our younger children. I think I might have come close to a chocolate overdose with that chocolate fountain, though, (there are TONS of things you can dip in chocolate did you know that?) but it was still fun. And I am the family champion (for today, at least) in Wii bowling and Wii tennis. I think the best thing that happened, though, was having some of our oldest children come home just before midnight so they could ring in the new year with us. It made me a little misty to think that they left their friends and came home to be with us. I know, I know, I’m a sap. But, as I looked around at my family at midnight, laughing and clinking glasses, I just thought about how blessed I am and how much I’m looking forward to the adventure of 2009.

I love starting a new year. There’s just something so refreshing about it. It makes me look back over the last year and try to improve a little more for the brand new year because, generally, I need a lot of improvement and I like the idea of starting a fresh year with all kinds of possibilities. Last New Year’s Eve I found out I was expecting a baby and my husband and I couldn’t keep the smiles off our faces knowing what 2008 would bring. But here we are in 2009, our new baby is here, our missionary son is about to leave, and part of me wishes time would stand still and everything could stay how it is, for just a little while. I know it can’t, and so I’ve decided I’m just going to look forward to this year and the changes and challenges and wonderful memories I know it will bring.

One of the things I’m looking forward to this year is the association I have with the other writers on this blog. They make me laugh, they make me think, and they make me grateful that I am included in this group of amazing people. There just isn’t a more supportive and funny group anywhere. It’s been such a blessing to be a blogger here and to also have the opportunity to meet many of you who comment regularly. You make it all worthwhile.

So here’s hoping 2009 is a great one for you and yours.

Happy New Year!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home