Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Running Out of Time - Whitney Awards

by Sariah S. Wilson



I've been making homemade cookies tonight for my Sunday School class auction tomorrow (the kids earned points for behaving in class, reading scriptures, writing in their journals, etc.) and with the recent shift in our circumstances, I figured the best I could do was to make some things out of stuff I had around the house (and put up some of my extra books that I have). The kids all stepped up and volunteered to bring things in as well to auction off to each other. I look forward to this all year - everyone really enjoys it.

So, seeing as how I'm trying to get everything done at the last minute, it inspired me to remind everyone that the "last minute" for the Whitney Awards is rapidly approaching.

Now, if you're a highly organized person you've already promptly nominated every LDS book that you loved this year right after you read it.

But for those of you who live to procrastinate like me, all the nominations have to be in by December 31. That means you have only a few weeks left to nominate your favorite books for consideration. Like, if you haven't nominated "Servant to a King" yet, now would be a very good time to do that.

The site explains who is eligible and the various rules and how this all works. Basically, the book has to have been released in 2008 and the author has to be LDS. "LDS Publisher" has a list on her blog site of books that have been released this year by LDS authors (it is in the sidebar - you have to scroll down a little and look on the right for the list). I don't know if the list is completely comprehensive, so if anyone knows of a more complete listing, please be sure to link it in the comments here.

LDS authors don't always get a lot of respect or accolades, so I think the Whitney Awards are a fabulous way to support the books that you loved (like the way you loved "Servant to a King," right?). Please go out ASAP and nominate some books today.


2 Comments:

At 12/14/2008 9:47 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Thanks for the reminder! I have about 3 more books on my list to read, then I can nominate.

 
At 12/15/2008 10:14 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Good reminder, Sariah! And since you brought up the auction, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everybody on this line who supported the Whitney Benefit Auction. In a very difficult economic time, we raised more than $2,000 -- pretty darn spectacular, considering. Obviously, we couldn't have done it without everyone who donated and bid so generously. THANK YOU!

PS to Sariah -- I love the idea of your auction. I'm going to use your idea with my Cubs next year. So fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home