Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Voting and other stuff

by Robison Wells

I went and voted this morning. I stood in line for about twenty five minutes. When I finally got into the polling area (still standing line) the guy next to me (a friend of mine) said that he hadn't yet decided who to vote for. I jokingly told him that he should vote for Ralph Nader, and a poll worker hurried over and told me to SHUT UP, because I was breaking all kinds of laws by campaigning in the polling place.

So, that's how voting went.

Then, during class, my wife called me on my cellphone, and I snuck out to answer. She was in the building! And, even more fun, our power had been disconnected! Hooray!

As it turned out, it appears to have been a clerical error wherein the power company thought that we hadn't paid our bills for three months. (I know this is a clerical error because I always pay my bills before they're three months late. Two months late, I'd believe, but three months? Never!) So, anyway, I left class and went down to the power company offices to straighten things out, and everything is fine, except for the fact that my wife is right now sitting at home in a dark house. Perhaps she and my son are playing "Murder in the Dark" over and over. That game would probably be pretty easy with just two people. (Though made somewhat harder by one of the people being three years old.)

So, apparently, I should have voted for whichever candidate was offering Power Company Clerical Reform. Nader, probably.

In other news, I submitted a book to a publisher on Saturday. I haven't done that in three years, and it feels kind of nice.

In other news, I'm quite pleased that this election is about to be over. I'm not like many people who are sick of the politicians--I'm sick of their constituents. Give me debates and arguments about policy all day long, but if I have to listen to one more person spout off about which candidate hates America more, I'm going to hammer a campaign sign into my head. Now all we have to do is get through the few weeks after the election when all these bloggers and morons tell us what terrible decisions we made.

(Way back in my first book, one character says that he loves going to city council meetings because he likes to listen to irrational people giving their irrational opinions. I thought I liked that too, but enough is enough.)

Anyway, I need to get back to my homework. If you haven't voted yet, please do so. And write me in for County Surveyor. We'll turn this county around, you and I. (It's easier to survey that way.)


5 Comments:

At 11/04/2008 5:57 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

OBAMA HATES AMERICA MORE!

(Sits back with popcorn to watch Rob self-mutilate.)

C'mon, tell us about the book!

 
At 11/04/2008 7:38 PM, Blogger Kristin and Donnie said...

This is my first time visiting your blog & enjoyed it. I completely agree with your take on politics... it appears it HAS become more about who hates America more, instead of the facts. When either party begins taking stabs, I just stop listening and change the channel. I, too, hope everyone votes today. And I did vote for you for County Surveyor... will you be coming to Alabama any time soon?

 
At 11/05/2008 6:39 AM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

Did you write in Dennie Crane? I just kicked myself for not remembering. wouldn't that be great? Captain Kirk for President.

 
At 11/06/2008 12:48 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

The highlight of this post is that you submitted a book! That's awesome! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :-)

 
At 11/09/2008 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really care much for politics. It's all just to much for my little brain to handle.

What's the book about???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home