Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Monday, August 25, 2008

Can You Really Have Too Many Page 42 Contests?

After Kerry’s extraordinarily enjoyable post about page 42s, and my propensity for blank pages, I started going through my library looking at the forty-second page of lots of books. Which got me thinking. How cool would it be to have a contest where you have to guess the book based solely on a single clue and a quote from page 42? Okay, maybe not so exciting to everyone. But to fellow bibliophiles—read geeks—way cool. So here they are. I will send something cool to the first person who can guess all of the titles. And no, it won’t be a kitten.

Hint—I am just as wide ranging in my reading genres as I am in my writing genres.

Second Hint—These are all national titles.

Third Hint—They are all books by well known authors.

Good luck!


1) Funny we should start with this first.
“I noticed you eating all alone. Every launch has one like that. Kid that nobody takes to right away. Sometimes I think the teachers do it on purpose. The teachers aren’t very nice. You’ll notice that.”

2) Shortest title of all time?
Only Stanley had seemed sure of himself, confident of the future, unconcerned with the pitfalls their parents saw strewn all around “the kids.” And in the end it was his confidence rather than their fears which had been justified.

3) This is a sad one
He went to work then, trailing and treeing the squirrels that little Arlis was scaring up off the ground.

4) You have to like an author who goes by three initials before his last name.
Very puffed up he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket handkerchief!

5) You would too if you had to carry that
She jingled the bracelet, making it sparkle under the light. “Henry it’s perfectly wonderful! What originality! I shall be the sensation of New York, wearing the same stuff as bridge girders, truck motors, kitchen stoves, typewriters, and—what was it you were saying about it the other day darling?—Soup kettles?

6) This author was such a little _______?
As to any sense of inequality, or youthfulness, or other difficulty in our way, little Em’ly and I had no such trouble, because we had no future. We made no more provision for growing older, than we did for growing younger.

7) This started it all
“They’ll take the boy and go. There’ll be no hanging around. That’s if they’re coming at all. Probably mistaken the day. I daresay their kind don’t set much store with punctuality. Either that or they drive some tin pot car that’s broken d-AAAAAAAARRRRRGH!”


8) How many chick flicks have they made out of this?
A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.

9) A man and a mouse
April 21st—I figured out a new way to set up the mixing machines in the bakery to speed up production. Mr. Donner says he will save labor costs and increase profits. He gave me a fifty dollar bonus and a ten dollar a week raise.

10) When your watch gets really old you might have this
“She’d be delighted. Mother’s all right. She’s not one of us. But she’s all right”

11) I’m sure these make lousy raisins
In the open doors the women stood looking out, and behind them the children—corn-headed children with wide eyes, one bare foot on top of the other bare foot, and their toes working. The women and children watched their men talking to the owner men. They were silent.

12) It’s alive!
I replied carelessly and, partly in contempt, mentioned the names of my alchemists as the principal authors I had studied. The professor stared. “Have you,” he said, “really spent your time in studying such nonsense?”

13) Wait, who am I?
The passport in question was, naturally one of the most difficult in the world to tamper with, but with great care, equipment, and artistry, it could be done.

“How much?”

“These skills—and equipment—do not come cheap. Twenty-five hundred francs.”

14) Who would kill a bunch of perfectly good letters?
Madness, Hastings, is a terrible thing . . . I am afraid . . . I am very much afraid . . ."

15) That’s one heck of a night crawler
CHOAM controls the spice,” Paul said.

16) Dream on!
Now being prepared for almost anything, he was not prepared by any means for nothing; and, consequently, when the bell struck one, and no shape appeared, he was taken with a violent fit of trembling.

17) Where ghosts pay to drive
"Our job," said the count, "is to see that all the words sold are proper ones, for it wouldn't do to sell someone a word that had no meaning or didn't exist at all."


17 Comments:

At 8/26/2008 12:04 AM, Blogger TheOneTrueSue said...

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."

P&P, of course :>

 
At 8/26/2008 1:54 AM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Well, I know The Grapes of Wrath and Dune for sure, and suspect a few others. You stumped me on most of them, though. We must not read in the same genres.

 
At 8/26/2008 3:39 AM, Blogger Confutus said...

I only recognized five:
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card;
The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien;
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by J.K. Rowling,
Flowers for Algernon (Daniel Keyes?),
Dune, by Frank Herbert.
I guess you can tell what I read?

 
At 8/26/2008 9:48 AM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

1- Ender's Game
2-
3-
4- The Hobbit
5-
6-
7- Definitely Jane Austen probably P&P
8-
9-
10-
11- Bourne Identity or a close rip off

12- Hercule Pirot - isn't he the one with Inspector Hastings?

13- Dune (gee.... with spice what else was it going to be?)
14-
15-

Yeah.... gee... can we tell what I read? Lot's of fantasy, sci-fi, and books with dead bodies. And Jane because she's cute.

 
At 8/26/2008 11:03 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Okay, so so far we have:

1- Ender's Game (Correct)
2-
3-
4- The Hobbit (Correct)
5-
6-
7- P&P (Correct)
8-
9-
10-
11- Bourne Identity (Correct)

12- Hercule Pirot - isn't he the one with Inspector Hastings? (It is indeed a Poirot mystery. Now which one?)

13- Dune (gee.... with spice what else was it going to be?) (Yeah that was pretty easy)
14-
15-

I'll wait until Kerry takes a crack before I give any more clues. She's tough to stump.

 
At 8/26/2008 2:30 PM, Blogger Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I recognized the ones already listed, except Flowers for Algernon...haven't read that one. Can guess a few others though:

1) Ender's Game
2)
3)
4) The Hobbitt
5)
6) David Copperfield
7) Harry Potter
8) Pride and Prejudice
9)
10)
11) The Grapes of Wrath
12) Frankenstein
13) Bourne Identity
14) The Second Letter
15) Dune

 
At 8/26/2008 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are the ones I recognized/researched by looking up specific books. Now I should stop obsessing and start laundry.

I am curious though, why are people only answering with lists of 15 when there are 17 books?

1 - Ender's Game
2 -
3 -
4 - (I really should have recognized this one as the Hobbit, but I guess it's been too long since I read it.)
5 -
6 - (Never read David Copperfield, this one had me stumped.)
7 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
8 - Pride and Prejudice
9 - Flowers for Algernon
10 -
11 - Grapes of Wrath
12 - Frankenstein
13 - (Never read Bourne Identity, but I've seen the movie, so after hearing the suggestion, I can see it)
14 - (After the hint that it was Hercule Poirot, I looked through Wikipedia to come up with a guess for The ABC Murders, but I won't count it for myself.)
15 - Dune
16 -
17 - The Phantom Tollbooth

 
At 8/26/2008 3:19 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

#2 is probably It by Stephen King.
#10 - Wrinkle in Time? L'Engle?
#16 sounds like a Christmas Carol by Dickens.

Fun concept, Jeff!

 
At 8/26/2008 3:32 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Okay, you guys are closing in. Jon and Story Engineer came through big time! I knew I could count on Jon to get IT. Way to use the little gray cells, SE!


The only unknown left is number 5. I'll wait a little longer before I give any clues, except that the clue in the paragraph is metal. That will only help you if you know about the book, though. But I'll bet you've all at least heard of it.

The first person who gives the whole list in order, including 5, wins any book from the list.

 
At 8/26/2008 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I don't see anything for #3. I looked through Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller, but it's not either of those two... Can we get a hint for that one?

Dang, I really am obsessed.

 
At 8/26/2008 5:03 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I only knew two of these . . . I feel so stupid now.

 
At 8/27/2008 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right, I think I have it.

1 - Ender's Game
2 - It
3 - Old Yeller (Your misspelling of Arliss threw off my research)
4 - The Hobbit
5 - A Farewell to Arms (Educated guess. I wasn't able to confirm it)
6 - David Copperfield
7 - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
8 - Pride and Prejudice
9 - Flowers for Algernon
10 - Wrinkle in Time
11 - Grapes of Wrath
12 - Frankenstein
13 - Bourne Identity
14 - The ABC Murders
15 - Dune
16 - A Christmas Carol
17 - The Phantom Tollbooth

Thanks to Google Books, just_me, kimberly, and jon. If you count this as winning, I'd like Bourne Identity.

 
At 8/27/2008 12:38 AM, Blogger Dianne said...

I just figured out why I'm not an author and probably never will be. I don't read the right kind of books. The only one I knew from the quote was Old Yeller and then Pride and Prejudice, of course, from the clue. Now if you had done Mormon fiction I could have gotten them all!

 
At 8/27/2008 10:59 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

SE, you are very very close. The only mistake is number 5. I'll give you a hint. The metal they are talking about is a new and improved steel, especially valuable for railroad lines. Also this book had/has major political overtones. If no one else guesses it, you win. But if you tie this with the original clue you may be able to guess it even if you haven't read it.

MAMM,

Not to worry. It's really tough to take such small snippets and come up with a title unless you know the book really well.

 
At 8/27/2008 3:12 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

#5 is Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

(I feel like I should read this one - can anyone recommend it?)

--no problem helping out the Story Engineer =)

 
At 8/27/2008 3:58 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Jon,

You are a stud. Since you and SE cobined on the win, I'll send SE a copy of Bourne Identity and you whatever book you'd like. I have recommended that my kids all read Atlas Shrugged. It is not the fastest read, and you will probably not agree with all the sentaments, but it is something that will leave you thinking a long time after you finish it.

Jon and SE, e-mail me your snail mail addresses at scott at jscottsavage dot com

 
At 8/27/2008 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. I would have never come up with Atlas Shrugged.

Thanks for the contest, Jeff. It was fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home