Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

They're Here!

by Stephanie Black

My books arrived yesterday! (And here I’d been thinking I needed to watch for the UPS truck, when as it turned out, they came Fed Ex ground. That’s almost enough to make me feel guilty about the way I spent the past few days with my arms flung around the leg of the UPS man as I begged him for packages.). Kerry tells me that I promised a picture of this momentous occasion, and though I’m not sure that’s strictly true (okay, I talked about pictures, but did I promise one?) here’s a picture because I want to remain in Kerry’s good graces. Okay, so the picture’s a little cheesy. And yes, of course it was staged. I told you it would be. I didn’t even have makeup on when the box arrived.

I actually got my hands on a copy of my book before the box arrived. On Monday, a friend and I drove up to Seagull Book (about twenty-five minutes away). Yes, folks, I went to the bookstore and bought my own book and it was dang fun, not just because I got to hold my book for the first time, but also because I got to see the book on the shelves, which is a thrill. I also got to purchase a copy of Kerry's Counting Blessings. Hooray! I also got to chat with a delightful bookstore employee who had just finished listening to Fool Me Twice on audio and enjoyed it.

I’ve been listening to the audio myself, and the actress, Kathryn Laycock Little, does a great job. I think the people who read books for audio are magical geniuses. I can read The Cat in the Hat with feeling, but I’d have no idea how to record a novel for audio—how to create different voice styles for different characters, how to read tense scenes so they come across as dramatic but not overdone, and so on. I think it’s marvelous what a good actor or actress can do when reading a book, so thank you, Kathryn!

Last night was Enrichment meeting, and we were supposed to offer a “gift of service.” This could be absolutely anything that we could do for someone else—some homemade cookies, an offer to drive someone to the airport, handmade cards, an offer to teach someone how to use Excel, and so on. I decided to offer a copy of my book—my service was to entertain someone for a few hours. Okay, maybe it was a little unusual, but the sisters seemed to like it. I even wrapped it up cute-like in cellophane (come on, it’s Relief Society. Cellophane and bows are mentioned in the scriptures, you know). I suspect that I had had more fun last night than my daughters, who were babysitting in the RS Enrichment nursery. When I returned to the nursery after the meeting ended, I found that they had written some rules on the board:

Laws (Cardinal Rules for the Babysat):

1. No killing.
2. No climbing.
3. No beating.
4. No hiding.
5. Habeas corpus hereby suspended.

Sounds like they had fun, eh?


18 Comments:

At 3/12/2008 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only your daughters would come up with suspending habeas corpus. I think these rules should be posted at all church babysitting functions.

 
At 3/12/2008 4:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

I love the picture, even if it is staged. Congratulations. And the babysitting rules are great. I'll have to post a copy on my fridge, although I wonder if #4 is intended for the babysittee or the babysitter.

 
At 3/12/2008 5:10 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

I don't think they had fun, exactly, but I DO think they're brilliant . . . like their mother.

It's a great picture, whether you promised or not. I love it! Thanks.

(As for the rest of you, you don't want to know what happens to people who aren't in my good graces... :)

 
At 3/12/2008 6:45 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

That IS a nice picture, but I would be more interested in seeing one of you hugging a UPS person's leg. Got one of those to post? Staged would be ok. =)

Kerry: they don't ever find the bodies, do they? Habeas Corpus, indeed.

 
At 3/12/2008 7:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I'll ask the UPS man if he'd mind staging a shot . . .

 
At 3/12/2008 7:26 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Congrats on getting your book copies. That is always such a thrill!

 
At 3/12/2008 7:38 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

So...that picture with the UPS guy...that's another promise, right? :)

 
At 3/12/2008 7:40 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

PS to Jon - Of course they don't. See that pit bull on the right? She's a great little digger. The neighbors only THINK she's after gophers.

 
At 3/12/2008 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Stephanie! I'm so glad your books finally came. The cover is awesome and your picture is beautiful. Can't wait to read it!!

Nancy Allen

 
At 3/13/2008 2:20 AM, Blogger Shanda said...

Oh, Stephanie, YAY! I'm so happy for you! I just found out your book was released and I'm out to get my copy ASAP! Congratulations!

Shanda :)

PS- Once we get your book in our hands you can guarantee your name will be coming up many times in the next few podcasts!!

 
At 3/13/2008 2:50 AM, Blogger Melanie Goldmund said...

Congratulations! I'll bet you're so excited! And I, too, would love to see you hanging onto the leg of the UPS man. :-)

 
At 3/13/2008 3:49 AM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Great photo, Stephanie! I'm so glad you got your books at last.

Suspending habeas corpus! I really tittered at that one.

 
At 3/13/2008 12:26 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Wooo-hooo! I'm planning an outing to the bookstore tomorrow to get your book.

 
At 3/13/2008 1:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I really appreciate everyone's support and comments.

And I hope you enjoy the book!

 
At 3/14/2008 6:18 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

I just think it's sad that I had a copy of your book before you did. That's just sad. There should be a law.

 
At 3/14/2008 6:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I'm just thrilled that you have a copy--no matter which of us got it first! (okay, that's not entirely true--I definitely wanted to get mine first! :)

 
At 3/14/2008 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read it. It's a great picture, too, thought I admit, having never been in your house, that I studied your pic quite intently to see what's on your bookshelf and to speculate what the story might be behind certain items you have displayed. Do the kneeling figures represent all the members of your family? What's the origin of the vase? Were the bookshelf, or the pink chair barely visible in the corner gift(s) from a relative? Is your copy of 'The Holy Temple' signed by the author? Is that a cap on your right rear molar?.... Oh, and did I mention congratulations on your book?

 
At 3/15/2008 1:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Wow, L@pteces, I feel like such a celebrity to be presented with such detailed questions about my living room. The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes
2. Got it in Ireland. Connemara marble. I'm quite fond of it.
3. bookshelf, no; pink chair, yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home