Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

School's back forever

Did you notice that yesterday was Tuesday? And did you remember that I'm supposed to blog on Tuesdays? Well, you can shut up, punk. I'm so sick of you and your "I wonder what Rob has to say today." You know what I have to say? Your impatience makes me embarrassed for you.

In actuality, on Monday I started my orientation at school. And where most orientations are little fluffy things wherin you play games trying to find people who also like Supertramp and Thai food, this orientation is much more involved. Instead of games, we're filling out a lot of forms, and attending a lot of lectures, being told six times an hour that the MBA program is really hard. They actually said yesterday that they purposely give you more stuff than you'll ever have time to do, because they want you to learn how to prioritize. So, high fives.

In related news, my daughter started kindergarten on Monday as well. She was all kinds of excited, and it seems to have gone really well, despite the fact that her teacher is some kind of masochistic Nazi who insists that Holly draw her letters from top to bottom, not bottom to top! I pay my taxes for this!? (Well, I'm a poor college student whose only tax expenditures are sales tax on textbooks and Coke. But YOU pay taxes for this! You should totally write your congressman.) (Unless top-to-bottom is the correct way. I can't remember.)

Anyway, it's 7:15am, and I have to leave at 7:30, and I'm not dressed yet! And the kids are eating pancakes and want me to get my laptop off the table. So, sorry this is short. If you have a problem, take it up with my professors.


12 Comments:

At 8/29/2007 9:19 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

That picture is our first day of school, by the way.

 
At 8/29/2007 9:24 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Aww! Such a cute picture.

Good luck with school.

 
At 8/29/2007 10:25 AM, Blogger Governale said...

During an election campaign, a small-town Texas politician was asked if classes in the local schools should also be taught in Spanish.

"No, sir," he said. "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for me."

 
At 8/29/2007 11:26 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Just remember. Write your thesis from top to bottom. BYU professors are Nazi's about that.

 
At 8/29/2007 12:46 PM, Blogger Janette Rallison said...

My kindergartener daughter starts her letters in all sorts of odd places. I figure it's the teachers job to notice this and correct her since she stopped listening to me long ago. So far the teacher hasn't--perhaps I should send her to your daughters class.

I'm also hoping they'll teach her to pick her clothes up off the floor and not jump with the cat on the trampoline.

 
At 8/29/2007 1:17 PM, Blogger Rebecca Talley said...

Picking clothes up off the floor? Are kids supposed to do that? Huh. I should make my kids aware of that.

 
At 8/29/2007 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clothes not on the floor? Hmmm. Really? Maybe my husband mentioned that when we were first married...

Just tell the teacher to get real. A year from now all the kid's will be doing their writing on the computer so what will it matter where they start on their letters or if they start on their letters? I'd say use the time for something more relevent--maybe how to judge tax-sheltered annuities?

 
At 8/29/2007 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always write top to bottom but I don't know which is the write way.
Cute picture!

 
At 8/29/2007 9:19 PM, Blogger Tamra Norton said...

Aaaaw, you two look so cute on your first day of school! Good luck to both of you.

 
At 8/30/2007 1:05 AM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Look at them little younglings heading off to class!! Yes, Rob, you're younger than me -- a fact I delight in nearly every day since the Storymakers have stopped calling me the baby.

Drawing her letters the wrong way? Honestly, as long as they're drawn, what does it matter what direction she approached it from?

 
At 9/01/2007 12:26 AM, Blogger Julie Wright said...

Cute picture you little students you. I feel like sending you a sympathy card. I shudder when I think of college.

And Janette, what's the point of having a trampoline if you can't bounce the family pet on it??

 
At 9/06/2007 12:57 PM, Blogger Janet Kay Jensen said...

Rob, kudos to YOU for pursuing your MBA! And I hope your daughter is loving kindergarten. What a day of "firsts."

My parents both went back to college when I was in jr high. It was a big change for the family but the value of a college education was instilled in me at an early age and we all sacrificed in order for my parents to obtain theirs. When my mother was typing my dad's master's thesis (a very, very bad idea - yes, on a real typewriter) I would take sandwiches and glasses of milk downstairs to them . . . and then hurry upstairs again because it was pretty tense. What a vivid memory it is now. I'm really proud of them for pursuing their education, and after living with their experiences, I was determined to complete mine before I had children.....they didn't have much choice because after a couple of years of college, WW 11 interrupted their lives. What a great thing they did to finish their goals years later!

So my hat is off to you for doing it now, and what an example you are setting for your kids, to take on this goal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home