Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Time Shortage

by Stephanie Black

Blog lite today. Sorry. Too much to do. A few random thoughts:

*High school registration is this afternoon. Oy. Why in this day and age can’t we do this online instead of in line—in very long lines?

*I had a great weekend. My husband took me to San Francisco for our anniversary and surprised me with a trip to the theatre for Gilbert and Sullivan’s “HMS Pinafore.” I’ve listened to that operetta since I was a child and was thrilled to see it on the stage. Gilbert and Sullivan rock. We also had breakfast at a world-famous bakery. Chocolate croissants. Swoon. My husband was so inspired by the chocolate croissants that he came home and made his own. We ate some of them for Sunday breakfast and he took some to the high priests’ group. Yes, you read that right. Our high priests get treats. It all started with a former teacher who brought the most amazing cookies. Is this, like, legal? Treats in high priests? Someone better check the handbook.

*I just read Sheep’s Clothing by Josi Kilpack. It was extremely gripping and I didn’t get much done that day because I couldn’t put Josi’s book down.

*I planted some new flowers in pots in my yard and they aren’t dead yet. Three cheers for me. Maybe there is something to this watering thing after all.

*We got a family photograph taken last night. The last time we had a professional photo done, my second-grader was an infant and the youngest wasn’t even born yet. From the photo session, I’ve realized a great truth: it is nigh-impossible to convince a wriggly kid that if he’ll just quit goofing off and smile nicely for the camera that this will be finished in thirty seconds or less and he can go home. It just doesn’t register in the brain. It’s like when you tell an agitated kid who is being teased by a sibling: “If you’ll just ignore him and act like it doesn’t bother you, he’ll get bored and quit bugging you.” Of course, even if a miracle happens and the kid follows your advice, a truly skilled button-pusher can still get a rise out of his sibling. “You’re acting like it doesn’t bother you,” my nephew said to his sister with calculating fiendishness, “but I can tell it really does.” Aarrgh!

Well, I’m off to make lunch, do book things, school things, house things, kid things and church things. And chocolate things. We’ve still got Ghiradelli goodies in the cupboard.


12 Comments:

At 8/22/2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, sounds busy, busy, busy.

 
At 8/22/2007 8:44 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Anniversary Stephanie. How many years. DH and I celebrated our 24th on Monday.

 
At 8/22/2007 8:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Congratulations, Jennifer!

Eighteen years for us!

 
At 8/22/2007 8:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8/23/2007 4:16 AM, Blogger David G. Woolley said...

I enjoyed the calculating fiendishness of your nephew. I enjoyed even more your insightful pick up on his fiendishness. Oh what fiendish web he weaves. Thanks for the wonderful post. Aarrgh!

 
At 8/23/2007 10:16 AM, Blogger Rebecca Talley said...

Not only do we have lines for high school registration, we also have to pay to register, pay for a parking space, and pay for books. And, we have to pay to register in middle school and buy a P.E. uniform. Then there's school pictures and, of course, school supplies. I have to take out a second mortgage to pay for my kids to attend public school (isn't there something wrong with that?).

What a fun way to spend your anniversary. Congratulations!

I think the High Priests need treats to keep them awake. I know when my husband takes our babies into HP he always says the babies fit right in, they sleep through the whole lesson!

My husband detests family photos--he's almost worse than the kids. I must admit, it's a horrible experience to try to get all the kids to look in the same direction and then smile at the same time . . . almost an impossibility. But, we'll look back when we're old and be grateful we endured it, right? That's what I keep telling myself!

 
At 8/23/2007 10:42 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Rebecca, you must live in Utah. When we moved there from Arizona and I went to register the kids, I almost fainted. Possibly they didn't charge for air and water while on campus, but they charged for everything else! As a person who'd never taken a checkbook to school registration -- let alone a safe deposit box and armed guard -- I was woefully unprepared. In other words, I feel for you, sistah.

Of course, now we've moved on to college where tuition costs an arm and part of one leg, and a paperback textbook sells for $500. (If you're lucky and find it used on Amazon.) Who gets all that book money, anyway? If it's the authors, we are all writing in the wrong genre! (Even Jeff.)

 
At 8/23/2007 12:48 PM, Blogger Josi said...

Because of the way our district works, I have 4 kids in four schools this year and 3 of them had registration at the same time. The middle School--in and out in 15 minutes, they did all the registration by mail so we just picked up the schedule. Intermediate school--3 1/2 hours with no air conditioning as we moved of moving from classroom to classroom to have the entire student handbook explained in minute detail. They wouldn't give out the schedules until we had completed all the sessions. I about lost my mind and I will be writing a letter--oh yes, I will write that letter!

So glad you liked the book :-)

 
At 8/23/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

What, no picture Stephanie? ;)
(TTIUWOP)

You should hear my story of trying to get registered for Jeff's class. (An adventure all by itself.) (Didn't take 3 hours, probably only 45 minutes, mostly me walking around the Spanish Fork High School grounds.)

 
At 8/23/2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Rebecca Talley said...

Actually, I live in CO. Wish I did live in Utah now that my daughter is attending Snow College and the out-of-state tuition is more than an arm and a leg, I think it's a whole body!

I can't believe, in this day and age, that we can't register online or at least do most of it online. My daughter, a freshman, had to go to a 5 hour orientation to register.

 
At 8/24/2007 3:53 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

You need to come to Lehi. You can pay all your fees on-line :)

 
At 8/24/2007 4:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I'm packing my bags this minute, Heather!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home