Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cradle and All

By Sariah S. Wilson

I should probably clarify a little from my last Saturday’s post - I was hardly a perfect child (as my mother will attest) - I was probably a little more like Rob in that I abused the administration’s perception of my perfection to skip classes. Senior year I missed more than I should have, especially once I got accepted to college - which was an unfortunate habit that followed me to BYU. I figure this is why I still have nightmares about skipping classes for an entire semester and then having to take the final. Because it actually happened.

But my shock came from getting caught and getting detention. Not from doing something I shouldn’t have.

Anyway, I’m currently working upstairs in my room trying to get it finished for our baby set-up. I have a special bed for the baby that goes right against my bed without any barrier between us (so essentially three-walled). This way I think the baby get the benefits of co-sleeping without the risks. I’m personally terrified of smothering my baby, and any thoughts of co-sleeping went out the window when I woke up one morning with my eldest child to find him on the very edge of the bed. I don’t know how he got there or what would have happened if I’d pushed against him or rolled at all. I don’t like to think about it. But I do think it’s nice to have the baby right there next to you for the first month for easy access and because of the studies that suggest it helps the baby to remember to breathe when she hears her own parents breathing. I’ve saved my room for last because it is the least fun chore right now.

I’m huge and I’m not sleeping and I’m sick of not having sugar, so all in and all, I am ready for this little girl to make her appearance in the world.

Which should happen a little after 7:30 a.m. (EST) on Tuesday. My doctor wanted to do a C-section last week, but I told him he couldn’t do that to me because he wanted to go in the day after my second son’s birthday. I need more than one day between the birthdays. It’s bad enough that all their birthdays will be in May. So I’ve been living in morbid fear that this baby would decide to come early, just to wrench up all the plans and things that had to be done before she could come.

But fortunately we’re now at a point where even if she did come a day or two early, we’re on the right track for when everyone has scheduled time off. My boys will be staying with the grandparents, which they’re thrilled about (particularly since Grandma has her pool up and running again).

I’m looking forward to my hospital stay. When I meet moms who talk about how much they hated the hospital and how they couldn’t wait to get home, I am truly mystified (in fact, I have become very bummed out at being informed that instead of being able to stay five days as I have in the past, I will only be able to stay three days. Insurance sucks). The hospital is the BEST. I have 24-hour round-the-clock care. Someone brings me all my food. If I want to sleep for the night, the nurses take the baby so I can sleep (which I do take advantage of because it’s my best chance to recuperate from having just had major surgery). It’s like staying in a really clean hotel with room service you don’t have to pay for. Yay for hospitals!

So be thinking of us on Tuesday. C-sections are scary and it always worries me a bit. But I suppose this is the consequence of producing humans who are over 12 pounds at birth. Although, honestly, I don’t think she’s anywhere near that big. I don’t look like a sideshow freak like I did with my first two (people would stop and stare at me because I looked like I was about to give birth to a baby whale).

I’m guessing she’s 9 to 10 pounds. I have no scientific basis for this theory, just a guess. She could shock us all and come out a reasonable 6 pounds or so (but I’m not sure I would know what to do with a baby who didn’t make my arms feel like they were going to break.)

Anyone else want to make a guess on how big this baby will be?


15 Comments:

At 5/26/2007 10:12 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

I love the hospital stay too! I can never understand when women say the can't wait to leave. To be able to have the remote all to myself. What a joy! And, yes someone brings you meals. Why would I want to leave? I always stay as long as they'll let me. Good luck with everything.

 
At 5/26/2007 10:39 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

My third baby was my smallest (8.13). So I'm guessing yours will be 10.11 :)

Yes, the hospital is great, until the husband shows up and takes over the remote and the nurses come in every couple of hours during the night to check your vitals and you hear doors slamming all night and you can hear the nurses cackling at 2 a.m. and you are simply starving, but breakfast is 4 hours away . . .

 
At 5/27/2007 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather, I learned after my first one. Pack snacks! Even though I was fortunate to get great meals in the hospital when I had my babies, meals were too far apart and a few packages of cookies helped immensely. Husbands who bring milk shakes are appreciated too. All my babies were big too 8.3 to 9.6 except my third. She was 6.14 and seemed terribly small and delicate-scary. I'll guess 8.2

 
At 5/27/2007 12:17 AM, Blogger Michele Holmes said...

Good luck, Sariah and enjoy that hospital stay. I've been able to stay overnight ONCE out of the four children I've had (yeah, sometimes insurance really does suck). The worst was coming home six hours after our second child was born. My husband was out of town, and I remember sitting on the couch with my very new, newborn while my 2 year-old jumped across my lap on the couch. So much for R&R. Hope you get yours though, and be sure to pack a candy bar =)

 
At 5/27/2007 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog, Sariah. Good luck to you. My family birthdays look like this: 1 May, 2 June, 2 July, 2 August. It's insane with the parties, because I'm a big birthday partier. My last little guy was born in October. I finally got smart and gave myself a breather.

 
At 5/27/2007 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Sariah! How exciting that the day is almost here! Blessings upon you and yours, my dear. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you!

Let's ALL guess the baby's weight. The person who comes closest wins a super-deluxe Frog Fun Pack. (We've got to have more contests to get rid of these things. I have frogs everywhere!)

I guess 9.6 because that's how big my daughter was. Compared to the three boys who preceeded her she looked like a little linebacker.

 
At 5/27/2007 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll guess 9 lbs. 4 oz. That was the size of my first son.

Congratulations, Sariah!

 
At 5/27/2007 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, that Anonymous was Stephanie Black. How can I win a frog fun pack if I don't put my name?

 
At 5/27/2007 8:16 PM, Blogger Karen E. Hoover said...

I'm going to guess 7.7. Good luck, Sariah! We'll be thinking about you.

 
At 5/28/2007 12:24 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I like long odds, so I'm voting for a little baby. 6lb 5oz.

 
At 5/28/2007 1:03 AM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Hmmm. Let's see. I vote 9 lbs. 7 oz.

I would like the hospital better if the bed were just a tetch more comfy.

 
At 5/28/2007 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sariah, I had five boys and one girl and my little girl weighed 9lbs. 4 oz. so that's what I'm guessing for you. :)

I love hospitals for all the reasons listed above, but the hospital I delivered in also had huge rooms that had seating for visitors, including a couch that was a pullout for the husband if he wanted to stay through the night---which we really loved.

I'm so excited for you! Good luck tomorrow!

Julie Bellon

 
At 5/28/2007 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I just saw that Stephanie already guessed that *shakes fist at Stephanie* so I will change my guess to the size of my last son 9lbs. 13 oz. :)

Julie Bellon

 
At 5/29/2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Worldbuilder Robin said...

Since all the guesses are either 9 pounds or 6 pounds, I'll split the difference and say 8 pounds, 6 ounces (okay, so that's not quite a split, but I think heavier is a safer bet).

My daughter was 6 pounds, 2 ounces, and my son was 9 pounds 1 ounce. My wife says that having my daughter was much easier, but at least I was there for my son, so it's a toss-up as far as that goes. So, yeah, birth weight can vary widely...

 
At 6/01/2007 5:54 PM, Blogger Sabrina2u said...

Sariah good luck. My three children were 9 lbs 1oz., 9lbs 12 oz and 9lbs 6 oz. But I will guess 10 lbs 2 oz. for you. Hope everything goes well.
Robin Schick - robin@getiw.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home