Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Book Review

by Julie Coulter Bellon

Backtrack by Betsy Brannon Green
Published by Covenant Communications


Most of you know that I’m a huge Betsy Brannon Green fan. I’ve read and own all of her books. I’ve been privileged to meet her in person several times and I am always impressed and enchanted by her sweet Southern manners and adorable Southern drawl.

When her new book, Backtrack, came out recently I ran right out and bought it. I started reading it that afternoon and was soon immersed in the story. We have the lovable Miss Eugenia promptly ensconced in a new mystery, a love triangle, and a religious debate. She involves Jack Gamble, one of my favorite characters from the book Until Proven Guilty. But Jack is somewhat distracted because his wife Beth is going away with her oldest and dearest friends to a secluded cabin in the mountains. His overprotective vibe kicks in when a sudden storm knocks out the electricity and strands the women in the mountains and there’s a murderer on the loose.

Betsy always has a twist to her stories and that’s one of the things I love about her style so much in that I usually can’t predict what that twist will be and it keeps me turning pages long into the night. Unfortunately, the back of the book somewhat gives away the twist this time so I was able to see it coming. I was also a little surprised at some of the violence in this book that seemed to have a little more bite to it than her previous novels. Betsy delivers her usual spine tingling mystery, with a lot of new lovable characters. The one thing I did notice, though, was that this book felt like she had smushed two mysteries together into one book. She easily could have made two books out of the two mysteries in this story. Both are equally interesting and engaging, but sometimes it felt a little like a tennis match going back and forth between the two. Betsy does address some current social issues of drug dependency and dealing with life threatening diseases during this book and she does them justice. All of her characters are believable and her setting is outstanding as usual.

Overall, Betsy delivers another fine mystery novel that I truly enjoyed reading. I especially loved finding out what happened to Jack and Beth Gamble. Until Proven Guilty was one of my very favorite books and so I was delighted to see their story continued.

Backtrack is a double the fun, trademark Betsy Brannon Green book that is well worth your time. And, as a bonus, there are recipes in the back that are sure to tickle your palate. I know I’m going to try them!


4 Comments:

At 5/18/2007 7:24 AM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

Thanks for the review. Until Proven Guilty is one of my all-time favorites as well and I love Jack Gamble. I can't wait to check out this book.

 
At 5/18/2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun to find a book review today -- and what a great book to start with! Thanks! The book review section has always been one of my favorite parts of your web site, BTW.

 
At 5/18/2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Great review, Julie! Betsy's books are always fun.

 
At 5/18/2007 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, Marcia, you'll like Jack in this one. *sniff* I loved how he loved Beth.

Thanks for the comments guys, you're awesome!

Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home