Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Instead of Posting, I’ll Be Boasting

By Sariah S. Wilson

It’s very late, thus the rhyming.

I don’t know why I wait until the last possible moment to post. It’s probably the same reason I’m only halfway through my next book that has to be handed in before the end of May - I would like to have my baby without worrying about a deadline. But being the procrastinator that I am…

Back to what I was rhyming about - I think with the whole humility thing we have ground into us from the time that we’re little, it’s hard sometimes to share our accomplishments.

But I am awfully excited by how my first book is doing, and so I am sharing.

“Secrets in Zarahemla” is currently on Seagull Book’s list of best selling fiction. I don’t know if that list is ranked in order, but if it is, I’m #5 over there. (You’ll have to go out to Seagull’s website, click on best selling and then fiction to see it. Every time I try to do a link it doesn’t work out right.)

And marvel of marvels, I’m currently #13 on Deseret’s LDS general fiction list. I am completely addicted to checking this list once or twice a day. I hit #19 and thought that it would be it for me - I even dropped down to #21 or #22 and thought that was the beginning of my descent. I don’t know if Conference weekend has made the difference, but I’m currently #13. I don’t know at what point it will stop creeping upwards - I’m guessing probably fairly soon - but I’m enjoying the ride while it lasts.

So…if you haven’t read it yet…give in to the peer pressure. Some people seem to like it, maybe you’ll like it too. ;)

I know that’s the only reason I picked up “The Da Vinci Code” and “Harry Potter.” They were on those best selling lists for forever. I remember I went to Barnes & Noble one day and decided to pick up one of those Harry Potter books to see what all the fuss was about. I returned the next day to pick up books 2, 3, and 4 and it killed me that I had to wait a whole year for 5!

Have you ever bought a book solely because it’s on a best selling list?


8 Comments:

At 4/07/2007 11:04 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Not necessarily because of a best-selling list, but because of word of mouth. I picked up both HP and Da Vinci Code solely because people I trusted recommended them. HP I rolled me eyes over many, many times before I finally picked it up and said, "Fine. I'll read it just so I know what everyone's talking about." And then I had to read the rest of them. And then I got my husband hooked. Just like I got him hooked on chocolate. I'm a bad influence, apparently.

 
At 4/08/2007 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work at Seagull Book, and yes, our fiction is ranked in order. I read Secrets in Zarahemla and loved it! Excellent job. :) I was highly annoyed at the time because I had about a second a day to read and all I wanted to do was find out what happened next. I now drive customers crazy recommending your book to them. Sometimes they even listen and buy it. :) Or else they'll say, "Oh, I already bought that! It was so good. I loved it."

So basically, the word on the street is that Sariah Wilson is a great new author, and Secrets in Zarahemla is the book you should be reading. Just thought you'd want to know. You can never have too many compliments, right? :)

 
At 4/08/2007 11:46 PM, Blogger Josi said...

I am also addicted to the DB list. I have been known to check it 5-6 times a day even though I know they only update it once a day Monday thru Friday. My new book that doesn't come out for 3 weeks is #121 and I'm out of my head with excitement!!

I don't pay much attention to bestseller lists myself, but base a lot on reader recommendations. I will very rarely even bother with a book unless someone, or several someones, I know recommend it. Who has the time? You have great reviews, way to go!

And, BTW, I think you're still moving up. You're a brand new author and your book has only been out two months. I wouldn't be surprised if you made it to the top ten in the next week, you've been moving fast the last couple weeks.

However, I still think it's lame they don't have the right cover :-)

 
At 4/09/2007 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sariah, congrats on the great sales rankings! Fantastic!

Stephanie

 
At 4/09/2007 3:04 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

That is exciting. There's nothing wrong with a little boasting now and then, especially when it's well deserved. Congrats! It looks like a really good book. I'd like to read it.

 
At 4/10/2007 10:31 AM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! :)

And Lindzee, today you are my favorite person. You made my whole week. Thank you so much for spreading the word and for the support!

 
At 4/10/2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Darvell Hunt said...

Wow, awesome, Sariah. (By the way, that's a great name for writing Book of Mormon novels!)

I guess 13 is a lucky number for you. I haven't read Zarahemla yet; I guess I need to.

Darvell

 
At 4/10/2007 12:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I was in Seagull Book yesterday and the clerk told me how good your book is and how it's the kind of book that you don't want to put down. I love that kind of book! My daughter is currently reading it and enjoying it, and once I finish the Betsy Brannon Green novel I'm reading, Secrets in Zarahemla is definitely next on my list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home