Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Monday, November 27, 2006

Jen Steps In

In the best tradition of Tom Sawyer I have swapped my wife chicken strip cooking for blog writing. I am getting the best of this deal, right. Ouch, the hot oil is splattering! Right? How do you turn this thing down?! Right?!!! Lookout I think the fryers going to blow!!!!!

I’m Dreaming of a DECEMBER Christmas
By Jennifer Savage

Isn’t he funny, folks? Give him a big hand. He’ll be here til Thursday. Try the veal! (Probably safer than the chicken strips.)

So this is probably going to be less of a blog and more of a gripe. But since when is Christmas a three month holiday?

Am I the only one left who remembers Thanksgiving decorations in stores? Thanksgiving pageants? Dressing up as a pilgrim? Am I the only person in America who thinks listening to Christmas music on Halloween is blasphemous?

Seriously, a local radio station, the one that traditionally starts playing carols on November 1, which is wrong on so many levels, decided to get a jump on the season and started a day early.

Picture the scene if you will. I load my boys into the trusty dusty minivan, all dressed in their spiffy Halloween costumes, which at our school have to be historical according to grade (the first grader was an Egyptian prince, the third grader a Viking). We’re on our way to school, talking about who is going to take the guys trick-or-treating, and do we have sacks big enough to hold all the loot, when I innocently change radio stations and hear Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

I almost threw up.

Even school kids are kind of relieved to go back to school after three months of summer. But three months of Christmas sales, Christmas songs, and attempts at achieving Christmas perfection? No thanks!

Christmas to me isn’t about materialism, it’s about moments. Decorating cookies. Hanging stockings. Putting out carrots for the reindeer. Taking goodies to family and friends. Writing cards, wrapping gifts, making those once-a-year goodies (like Jeff’s Russian Teacakes) and, yes, Christmas carols.

I’m not a grinch. I love Christmas. But it seems to me that if you start singing carols, decorating, and shopping that early, Christmas loses some of its magic.

Maybe if it takes us three months to prepare for Christmas, we’re doing it wrong. Maybe we’re substituting trimmings and tinsel for the things that really matter.


4 Comments:

At 11/28/2006 2:26 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Amen, sister!

 
At 11/28/2006 2:34 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Christmas music on Halloween is just plain wrong. Sick and wrong.

Last year the local soft rock station started playing Christmas music on Nov 1. This year they waited until the Monday before Thanksgiving. Much better.

 
At 11/28/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I think you're all Grinches.

 
At 11/29/2006 12:05 AM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Sure, says the guy who puts rocks in Charlie Brown's trick-or-treat bag.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home