Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Sunday, November 26, 2006

The One Wherein I Am Irresponsible

by Sariah S. Wilson

Usually I yell at the other writers when they forget to blog (well, not technically yell since I am confined to email). I have no excuse other than that with this holiday weekend one day has bled into another and I lost track of time. I fully acknowledge my shortcomings and confess that I am a bad blogger.

That being said, I wanted to solicit some readers opinions today. As I've mentioned before, my younger brother has just entered the MTC to prepare for a mission to Moscow, Russia. He had to spend Thanksgiving there, and will be at the MTC for Christmas as well.

Christmas is THE holiday at my mom's house. She starts listening to Christmas music in October (she actually starts listening to it in July, but doesn't make anyone else listen to it until October). Christmas was always a huge deal growing up, and this will be my brother's first Christmas away from home. We'd all like to do what we can to make it a little easier for him.

But as we started brainstorming Christmas gift ideas, we realized that we weren't sure what is a good missionary gift. Obviously, we don't want to give him anything that wouldn't be useful to him in some way. (Although I suppose we could get him un-useful gifts and take pictures of them and say, "Those will be waiting for you when you get back.")

My husband suggested sending my brother a bunch of junk food - while making certain that there's enough for him to share with his batch mates. I thought of things like socks or ear muffs, but that would be pretty boring to open. My mom is planning on getting him some T-shirts for P-days.

As you can see, we're fairly desperate for ideas. If you served a mission, what would you have loved to receive for Christmas? If you had sons or daughters who served missions, what sorts of things did you send them for the holidays?


11 Comments:

At 11/27/2006 2:10 AM, Blogger Keith N Fisher said...

When I was serving a mission, my ward organized a letter writting and christmas card sending marathon. I recieved 21 seperate pieces of mail on the same day. It was awsome to feel that much support. Your brother is in the MTC and Mail doesn't mean as much as when he will be out a year from now, but I think he will like mail. Christmas cards are great because he can stay focused on what's important.

 
At 11/27/2006 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know there are places in PRovo that deliver fresh cinnamon rolls or cookies. If you want the names of them I can ask my sister-in-law that used to live there.

 
At 11/27/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I always liked getting money--then we could go eat something good instead of ramen noodles. But I guess that doesn't really apply in the MTC.

 
At 11/27/2006 10:03 AM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

My daughter did a "12 Days of Christmas" thing for her brother when he was in the MTC at Christmas. They were simple things like treats and scriptures and little toys, all individually wrapped and numbered to be opened each day. Maybe I can get her to check in and tell you what she sent. I mostly remember that he loved the creativity behind it. I think the Christmas gift was a missionary calendar to mark the first "12 Months of Service" to the Lord.

 
At 11/27/2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Hmm, have to think about that. The MTC is pretty self-contained. I saw your new cover though. It looks great!

 
At 11/27/2006 1:31 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Like Rob mentioned - getting gifts in the MTC is a little bit different than getting gifts while out in the field. So keep those ideas coming! I love the 12 days of Christmas one, Kerry.

Jeff - which cover did you see? The one in the winter catalog? I don't think that's the cover that I'll have in the end (although I have been known to be wrong before).

fhl - Definitely pass along any info that you can that will help us support my brother in his mission. We're all so proud of him and want to do anything we can to help!

 
At 11/27/2006 1:46 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

http://www.covenant-lds.com/osb2/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1980

I haven't seen them change a cover once it's on-line (but like you I'm not batting a thousand either.) Don't if that was in the winter catalog or not but it looks great.

 
At 11/27/2006 3:00 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

I just checked, and that's a filler cover. I still haven't seen the actual cover yet - but it's supposed to have my hero and heroine on it. I can't wait to see the finished product.

 
At 11/27/2006 3:03 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

Very cool cover! I'm looking forward to reading it.

 
At 11/27/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Chillygator said...

This is probably a geeky thing, but I was on a mission last Christmas and THE BEST gift I got was clothes that smelled like home (mom had washed them. mmmm, home smell). But he probably hasn't been out long enough for that to mean anything, of maybe that's not a normal thing to begin with (o:

My sister also made a calander with pictures of us. A co-worker gave me post cards (because, as any friend will tell you, I collect post cards) of Utah (because I'm from Utah). One for each month and each with a different throught. Sometimes a hymn, scripture, or his testimony. I always looked forward to adding a new post card to my wall each month.

Hopefully any of those things will give you ideas.

Oh, and my companion's mom sent the world's best brownies. Even after the month it took to mail them to us, lol. (okay, it wasn't that long, but I was in Australia, it FELT like forever). Happy, happy times.

 
At 11/27/2006 4:17 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Sariah,

That is really bizarre. I've never heard of Covenant taking that long to finish a cover. Is it still coming out in February? That's really pushing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home