Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Whitney Awards Finalists Announced!

Many congratulations to the Whitney Awards finalists, which were announced this afternoon! I was a judge this year (for Youth Fiction, both categories) and I can gleefully state that the quality is continuing to climb every single year.

The finalists this year are:

Romance:
  • Courting Miss Lancaster, by Sarah Eden
  • Cross My Heart, by Julie Wright
  • The Legend of Shannonderry, by Carol Warburton
  • Luck of the Draw, by Rachael Renee Anderson
  • Meg's Melody, by Kaylee Baldwin

Mystery/Suspense:
  • Cold As Ice, by Stephanie Black
  • Crossfire, by Traci Hunter Abramson
  • Murder by Design, by Betsy Brannon Green
  • A Time To Die, by Jeffrey Savage
  • Wrong Number, by Rachelle Christensen

Speculative:
  • Imprints, by Rachel Ann Nunes
  • Mr. Monster, by Dan Wells
  • Pathfinder, by Orson Scott Card
  • The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner
  • The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson

Youth Fiction—Speculative:
  • Fablehaven 5, by Brandon Mull
  • Matched, by Ally Condie
  • Paranormalcy, by Kiersten White
  • The Forbidden Sea, by Sheila Nielson
  • The Fourth Nephite, Jeffrey Savage

Youth Fiction—General:
  • Glimpse, by Carol Lynch Williams
  • Missing in Action, by Dean Hughes
  • My Double Life, by Janette Rallison
  • The Healing Spell, by Kimberly Griffiths Little
  • Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me, by Kristen Chandler

Historical:
  • Alma The Younger, by H.B. Moore
  • Oh Say Can You See?, by L.C. Lewis
  • The Sheen on the Silk, by Anne Perry
  • The Silence of God, by Gale Sears
  • Trespass, by Sandra Grey

General Fiction:
  • Band of Sisters, by Annette Lyon
  • Blink of an Eye, by Gregg Luke
  • The Cross Gardener, by Jason Wright
  • Finding Mercie, by Blaine Yorgason
  • Lucky Change, by Susan Law Corpany


7 Comments:

At 2/01/2011 9:20 PM, Anonymous Andrew said...

Congratulations to everyone. A good list, about what I expected. My one complaint is The Lonely Polygamist being left off the General Fiction list.

 
At 2/02/2011 11:49 AM, Anonymous MalibuJane said...

Ack! My only complaint is now I've got to get through the Way of Kings in order to vote in that category!

Some great titles in here- I think this is one of the best years yet for Lds authors (and readers!).

 
At 2/02/2011 1:09 PM, Blogger Kimberley Griffiths Little said...

I am sitting here stunned this morning to be a Finalist and so thrilled. My local Deseret manager was the one to email and tell me the news. I knew I'd been nominated but didn't expect to make the Final Five. Thank you so much for all your hard work and for the honor! Can't wait for the banquet in May!

(Who else was on the committee? Is that info known or available? I'm new to all this!)

 
At 2/02/2011 1:15 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Hi Kimberly! Congrats! I'm not on the committee anymore. The full list can be found here: http://whitneyawards.com/wordpress/about-the-whitney-awards/

 
At 2/02/2011 5:08 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

I haven't read most of these books, but that doesn't stop me from making some predictions. Okay, in Romance the Whitney will go to The Legend of Shannonderry or Meg's Melody. In Mystery/Suspense Rachelle Christensen will go to the podium to receive her award (Stephanie Black, you'll be a close second this year). In Speculative the Whitney will go to Pathfinder. Orson Scott Card, what can you say. For the Sanderson novel, perhaps you could just email Brandon and ask him what its all about. And why is his story better than Card's story. Two youth categories: In Speculative I predict a Whitney for Ally Condie and in General it will be Kristen Chandler just based on title alone. The Historial Whitney recipient will be The Silence of God, with Trespass and Moore's novel a close 2nd and 3rd. General, where novels can fit no where else, look for Blink of an Eye to prevail. Wow. And finally, the Novel of the Year ... drum roll, please. The Silence of God by Gale Sears.

Now, all my predictions aside, I truly wish all the finalists the best of luck. If you made the list you're deserving of the prize.

Charlie

 
At 2/04/2011 1:20 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Interesting, Charlie. Having read almost half of the finalists, I disagree in pretty much every category. I'm not going to publicize my guesses, though. :)

 
At 2/04/2011 2:43 PM, Blogger Charlie Moore said...

Well, Annette, my "predictions" were given tongue-in-cheek. Hopefully that thought crossed your mind. You are probably much more in tune with who should be front runners based on all the voting criteria and your knowledge thereof. The only choice I made which I really feel is deserving is the Sears novel.

Disagree in pretty much every category, eh. Were my choices really that bad? I think the two best categories for competition are Historical and Mystery/Suspense. What say you about that?

Anyway, thanks for the comment. Other Rob readers probably said "boy, this guy is not all there."

Charlie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home