Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Monday, January 10, 2011

This Dedication Goes Out To...

So today in Sacrament the speaker talked about how when you open up a book, very often you'll find a dedication from the author to someone special. It had the whole spiritual hook, as in when we write our "Book of Life" that the book should be dedicated to the Lord, but it got me thinking about dedications. The way the speaker talked about it, the dedication, when you were writing that book, was one of the most important things - that as you write your "Book of Life," if it's dedicated to the Lord, the book will be different.

But as an author, I realized that my books are never written around my dedication. They're typically an afterthought, instead of the prerequisite to the rest of the book.

I do always read dedications, even though most of the time I have no idea who that person is or why the dedication was given. One of my favorite authors dedicates all of her books to her husband. Another never has any dedications.

My first book I dedicated to my parents, my husband and my kids. The next one the dedication got left out accidentally. With the third, it was for my brother and his wife for something they'd done for my family, as well as my daughter.

When I write a book, often the dedication is the last thing on my mind and I don't write it until I'm sent a copy to edit.

It made me wonder though about other writers - when do you decide who to dedicate a book to? Who do you typically dedicate books to? For those that aren't published, is it something you've thought about? Who would you dedicate your debut release to?


5 Comments:

At 1/10/2011 10:14 AM, Blogger Krista said...

So far the dedication process has been different every time. With the first novel, I knew I would include my writing group, because without them I wouldn't have made the attempt, and my grandma, who gave me my favorite book, but I wasn't sure how to include my husband because he thought I had gone off the deep end. Until he read my book. He's in the dedication, now. :) Most of the other novels were completed before I really thought about it. The novel I just submitted is dedicated to my mom and her family, because she inspired it. Easy.

 
At 1/10/2011 12:18 PM, Blogger ~T~ said...

If my first children's story ever gets published, I'll dedicate it to my first son--because the idea came from him. Likewise, my second son inspired another story. I think I would only print a dedication to someone who had a personal connection to the story. I'd give the rest of the family signed copies.

 
At 1/10/2011 12:29 PM, Blogger Traci Hunter Abramson said...

I think I'm a bit like Krista in that the dedication process is different every time. Half of my books are dedicated to a group of people because of some inspiration they provided. Other times, the book is dedicated to an individual who is close to me. Typically, I write the dedication after I have finished the book.

 
At 1/11/2011 5:19 PM, Blogger Steve Westover said...

I dedicated my first book to my wife. What can I say, I'm a very smart man.

 
At 1/13/2011 6:28 PM, Blogger Anna Buttimore said...

My new book (out next month) has a completely mad dedication. To the cast, crew, creators and characters of my favourite TV shows, the staff of my favourite hotel, and some of my best friends.

My first book was "To my family". My second was "To my friends" and I always think the third should have been "To anyone else who knows me." (It wasn't, it was to my hubby and kids.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home