Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Beware the Reach of Stephanie Black

by Julie Coulter Bellon

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I couldn’t read Stephanie Black’s book, Cold as Ice, at night anymore because I was afraid that the creepiness factor would give me nightmares. Well, I have been having some insomnia issues, and I couldn’t stand lying there in the dark anymore wishing for sleep, so I turned the lamp on and thought I’d just finish the book. I only had a few chapters to go, and I was anxious to know the end anyway, and how bad could it be? Surely that was worth a nightmare or two.

So I picked up the book, and just as I did, the wind rustled through the window and shook the blinds a little, as if warning me not to do it. I ignored that and opened to the page. The crickets that had been happily chirping a minute ago, suddenly were silent and I felt a little shiver of eeriness go up my back. But I doggedly started to read.

Before I knew it I was on the last chapter, and the end was as good as I knew it would be. Stephanie is an incredibly talented writer and her mysteries keep me guessing every time. I closed the book, with a smile on my face, knowing that I had done it. I had made it through a Stephanie Black book in the dead of night, and I didn’t seem any the worse for wear. I clicked off the lamp and snuggled into my bed. Surely I would be able to sleep now.

Not more than thirty seconds after I thought that thought, the rocking chair in my bedroom began to creak. Not a little creak from the wind, mind you, but a creak like someone was rocking in it. Thinking maybe one of the children had come into my room, I looked over, but there wasn’t anyone in it. Deciding it had just been the wind, I closed my eyes again, but no sooner had I done that, then the creaking started again. Feeling a little more than creeped out, I quickly sat up and turned on the lamp. There was no one there. The rocking chair was empty, but even as I looked at it, it started to slowly rock back and forth, the creaking even louder in the light somehow. Just as I was about to wake my husband, however, our cat came waltzing out from behind the chair, and it seemed to me she had a little smile on her face, like she knew she’d freaked me out. She calmly walked away and I turned off the lamp and laid back down. The mystery of the creaking chair was solved, but the adrenaline was running now, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all.

So the moral of my story is, never read Stephanie Black books in the dead of night. And if your pet can be bribed, I have a sneaking suspicion that Stephanie Black would be the kind of author that would definitely bribe them to do something to make her book even more memorable for her readers.

Beware the reach of Stephanie Black.


7 Comments:

At 9/09/2010 5:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

That reminds me--keep your eye out for a big FedEx package that smells vaguely of fish. It's for the cat.

 
At 9/09/2010 7:11 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I bet you were sorry - the last few chapters definitely crank up the creep factor. First there's the um, icy thing , and then there's the whole er, jump/fall incident , and then it culminates in that whole Karate Kid flashback event. (If you've read it, you know what I'm talking about.)

You know, Julie, that paragraph about the rocking chair is pretty spooky in its own right, maybe you should try writing something along those lines...

 
At 9/09/2010 11:29 PM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks for the warning. I just bought it and thought I might stay up late tonight reading. Maybe I should fall back on plan B.

 
At 9/10/2010 9:32 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

This is the exact reason I have not finished Cold as Ice yet. I refuse to read after the sun goes down and never with my back to a window and with kids/work/school night time has been my only free time lately. Maybe tonight I should just bite the bullet since I don't have to go to work tomorrow so a sleepless night would be ok?

 
At 9/11/2010 12:55 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

I never realized I was so scary! :)

 
At 9/11/2010 3:26 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Stephanie, you're not scary per se, but you do suspense and thrilling mysteries very very well. LOL

Jon, I DO know what you're talking about and I agree. Also, thank you so much for that compliment!

StephanieH and Sandra you have to tell me what you think when you're done. It's such a good book!

 
At 9/14/2010 9:20 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Seriously, the description of your rocking chair gave me the heebie-jeebies! Nice cat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home