Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Winners. Also, a New Drawing

by Stephanie Black

Thank you to everyone who provided book recommendations in response to my blog last week. Now I'll have some great new suggestions next time I’m on the hunt for a suspense novel.

Thanks also to everyone who said nice things about my books. Aww, you guys are awesome. You really know how to make an author’s day.

Via an online random number generator, I have now drawn two winners. The two commenters who will receive copies of Methods of Madness are:

Charlie Moore

Jennifer

Congrats! E-mail your mailing address to me at emailstephanieblack@gmail.com, and after the book is released in August, I’ll get your copies in the mail.

Now that I’ve given away the free books, I have a few books to give away that will involve a bit of work. Having been inspired by Heather Moore, who is on my list of Extremely Cool and Brilliant People, I’m offering ten review copies of Methods of Madness to bloggers who would be willing to post about my book. If you are a blogger and are interested in reviewing my book between the middle of August and the middle of October, post a comment in the comment trail letting me know. If I get more than ten bloggers who are interested, I’ll do the random number generator and choose ten (I do reserve the right to exercise a little judgment here if a blog doesn't seem like it would be a good match with my book--not that I really anticipate that, but strange things can happen on the internet).

In other news, I’m about fifty pages into the second draft of my next book (which, as yet, has no working title). I’m delighted to be finished with the first draft. Drafting can be very fun, but given a choice, I’ll take revising over drafting. I like having a screen full of words to work with. Naturally my first draft is full of problems—there’s the subplot that went nowhere, the character that appeared out of nowhere near the end of the novel because I decided I needed him, the backstory that you’d have to be psychic to understand because I never explain it, and so on. Hmm . . . backstory. How am I going to slip all this info in so it feels natural but doesn’t point the characters in the direction of the solution too early? I’m thinking that instead of trying to work in all that backstory, I’ll just include my phone number at the front of the book. Readers can call me and say, so, what was the deal with that Leslie girl? And I’ll say, dude (I live in California), sit down and I’ll tell you the scoop. Could work.


15 Comments:

At 7/08/2009 1:26 PM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

LOL, now there's one way to do backstory.

(Pick me! Pick me!)

 
At 7/08/2009 1:37 PM, Blogger Gamila said...

I would love to review your book on my blog! I review a lot of LDS Fiction there. (http://www.gamilareview.blogspot.com/)

 
At 7/08/2009 2:08 PM, Blogger Lucy Eliza said...

I would LOVE to review your book!

 
At 7/08/2009 4:24 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Don't forget to do a mass suggestion post for your new title, only to have it changed imperiously by Covenant. =)

Jon laments the passing of Picture Perfect...

 
At 7/08/2009 5:01 PM, Blogger Taffy said...

I would also review your book! my blog is taffyscandy.blogspot.com

 
At 7/08/2009 7:12 PM, Blogger Kelsi Rose said...

I would totally review your book. Then at least I wouldn't feel bad about reading all the time...I could say I promised to read your book and love every minute of reading it. kelsirose.blogspot.com

 
At 7/08/2009 10:20 PM, Blogger Marcia Mickelson said...

I would love to review your book if you need me!

 
At 7/08/2009 10:55 PM, Blogger Heather said...

My dream job is to be a full-time book reviewer - or a book buyer for the library. Then I could justify the hours and hours I spend reading every week.

I would love to review your next book. I promise to say wonderful things about it. Not to try and pad my job application, but "Fool Me Twice" was the best suspense novel I have read in a long time. I liked it so much I bought the book and the audiobook.

tendermercies1.blogspot.com
-Heather

 
At 7/09/2009 1:00 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

I would love to do a review for you over on my blog.

 
At 7/09/2009 1:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie Humphreys said...

I'd love to review your book. It's on my list of must reads.

 
At 7/09/2009 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Stephanie...you must KNOW that I want my hands on that book no matter what, right? I'd be honored to review it but as I'm not a professional reviewer, I can understand if it wouldn't be your best choice. I'll leave it up to you and the random generator. =]
http://lexiconluvr.blogspot.com

 
At 7/09/2009 3:29 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I'd love to review your book.
www.mediareviews.co.uk

 
At 7/09/2009 1:21 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

I think you've hit the 10 mark, but whether I "win" a book, I'll review it for sure! Can't wait to read it.

 
At 9/04/2009 10:59 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

When can I expect the book to arrive?

 
At 11/02/2012 1:40 AM, Anonymous art dissertation proposal said...

Now I'll have some great original ideas next time I’m on the hunt for a expectation novel,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home