Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, June 12, 2009

One of the Best Mother's Day Gifts I Ever Got

Guest Blog by Hilary Blair

When my mom asked me to blog last week I quickly told her that she couldn’t have two guest bloggers in a row. This really meant, “No. I don’t have anything to say.” So I come to find out, she decided to not blog at all? I told my mom this is still having two guest bloggers in a row and she is cheating, she doesn’t seem to care. I knew I never should have made her that Mothers Day Coupon Book giving her a blog coupon and fish tank cleaning coupon. (Give me a break, it’s all a poor college student could afford for Mothers Day, and besides, it’s better than the high five my brother gave her.)

So now I am stuck with writing a blog and you are all stuck with me. But I have a problem, I can’t think of anything to write. Okay, I can actually think of several things to blog about and have even started on a few ideas only to hold down the backspace key after only three sentences and start over with my blank word document. I don’t have a problem rambling on about a subject – when given a subject. But that’s the problem with blogging, if you don’t have something specific to blog about you are left with that blank word document every time. (I imagine writing a book is the same way? If you can’t come up with an idea you’re left with nothing.) So in an effort to solve my blank word document problem I turned to Google and asked for some ‘ideas for blogs’. These are a few of the suggestions:

“Talk about your day or week, what might not interest you is sure to interest someone else. “
Oh okay, sure, my week. Well I spent the typical week at work, arguing with older ladies about using their coupons and trying to explain to them that macramé went out a long time ago. I also painted the shed and planted some pumpkin plants. Started summer school classes online. Oh yeah, really interesting. *Scratch that idea*

“Tell a funny story.”
The only funny thing I can think of that has happened recently is the goose attacking the cat. But, I think you kind of had to be there to appreciate it. (Don’t worry all you cat lovers, the cat wasn’t hurt physically, his pride might need some readjusting though). And now that it’s a daily occurrence it’s really not so funny anymore especially since the cat is now terrified of the goose.

“Read the newspaper and write about the front page news.”

The top news story in today’s newspaper: What WAS that? Light in the night sky puzzled the earthbound

Wow. Apparently I should have skipped out on watching the replay of the Diamondbacks game and had gone outside to stargaze. I’m really surprised I didn’t end up with ten text messages telling me about this very peculiar event (that happens every other month around here). The airport of course claims that it was a weather balloon while the locals are sure what they saw was from another dimension. The next article was informing us that the Civic Center is going to be repaved tonight at midnight so there would be no parking allowed until the next morning.

These are the top news stories in my town.

It is now blatantly obvious that I have nothing to write about. So I will stop wasting my time and definitely stop wasting yours. If you have any suggestions on what to blog about for next week I’m sure my mom will appreciate them.

It's true. Her mom really would appreciate them! I'd planned to add a little more on here, but . . . my gosh . . . I have to go read the newspaper. I can't believe it! I lived in Mesa at the time of the "Phoenix Lights." Did I see them? Noooo! And now they were here and I missed them again?! I don't believe it! Being abducted by aliens is very high on my bucket list. I could use a little cooperation here.

I will pause long enough to add my thanks to those of you who were kind enough to remind me that today is Friday. I missed Friday last week. (Yes, the whole day.) Also, I've had several inquiries into who won the longest/strangest sentence contest. (You remember, the one without the prize. Sheesh. You people are so competitive! :) I'm going to have to declare a four-way tie there. Like Jennie, I had a pretty good idea what each of you were talking about. In one case, I thought the paragraph was actually quite lovely. (Deb.) Obviously, I read way too much literary fiction.

Anyway, Happy Friday, all! I've had a very . . . difficult . . . couple of months, but I have finally shoved aside the rock and stuck my nose out of my hole. If I'm not too frightened by my shadow (or at last abducted by aliens) I may actually be able to rejoin the social network of the world. I can't tell you how much I've appreciated the notes of encouragement along the way. You all aren't a network to me -- you're many of my dearest friends on earth! ~Kerry


6 Comments:

At 6/12/2009 2:34 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Hilary, you make a lot more sense than a lot of blogs I've read. Actually I liked your comments a great deal and the next time I find myself staring at a blank screen I'll consider your suggestions or better yet invite you to guest blog.

Kerry I'm glad you're getting faint glimmers of light through the fog. I've missed you, though I haven't forgotten to keep your name on the list at Jordan River. Now it will be Jeri's job until Fall.

 
At 6/12/2009 6:23 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

Hilary: a young woman with nothing to talk about? You are a rare specimen, indeed. =)

For future blogs, you could always talk about a book you just read, or some of your favorite music of the week. I'm a third of the way into this little music collection from the South by Southwest Festival and I have found some real gems. One of them is this sweet little song called Lullaby by Lucy Walsh (daughter of Joe Walsh, from the Eagles)

Kerry: I wish you luck coming out of the hole. Holler if you need a hand, or some rope, or some company. For you, I recommend Gloria Estefan's Into the Light album.

 
At 6/12/2009 8:25 PM, Blogger Debra Erfert said...

It really was a weather balloon. I saw it! It coasted about 40,000 feet altitude and was perfectly beautiful. Of course we see those hot air balloons around Yuma all the time, but this one launched from New Mexico was enormous. It was all lit up from inside.

Hil, for a girl with nothing to write about, you certainly had a lot to say.

Kerry, glad to hear from you. I’ve missed you.

 
At 6/14/2009 2:38 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Yes, it was a weather balloon. (Thank goodness; I'd have hated to miss the aliens!) One of my sons spent the last year on White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. Things coming out of that place are truly amazing. (Not quite as amazing as aliens, but almost!)It's kinda fun to live close enough to see something now and again.

 
At 6/15/2009 9:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Great blog, Hilary! And I feel much better knowing that I'm not the only one who stares at a blank screen and wonders what the heck I'm going to write about.

 
At 6/16/2009 3:01 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

What Stephanie said!! You did a great job Hilary. And Kerry, I'm so glad things are going a bit better. Know the prayers will continue.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home