Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, March 13, 2009

The 14th Comment

KERRY BLAIR said . . .

Daron's right! My comment didn't count, so I deleted it, leaving us with a perfect number 13! (This is not superstitious as much as it is obsessive/compulsive.) But then I couldn't respond to the comments without adding a 14, so I am publishing this addendum for everybody else who wants to comment. Including me. Especially me.

Pat: I love your comments! I don't even resent the fact that you're always funnier than I am! :)

Julie: I didn't know that about cows! The crowd down the street from us were all lying down in their field this evening. I hope it rains! (Too fun. Thanks!)

Shanda: You have long been one of my favorite people on the planet, but now I want to adopt you! Those are some of the absolute coolest "13" things I've ever heard! My grandmother would have pegged you for a witch, but I kinda consider you a super hero.

Just Me: Too funny about the grazing. I can't wait to read your books. You have such a marvelous way of putting things. Also, I'm ready and willing to organize a fan club for ANYBODY who'd name their blog Vampires in Space!

Doug: As much as I love and admire you, I have to admit I'm one of those "some people" you mentioned. :) Did you cross-post your confession under "I'll Tell You My Quirks . . . " below? (I don't think it's a contest, but if it were, you'd probably win.)

Jennie: Don't even get me started on baseball superstitions. That's a whole 'nuther blog! (Most of those guys are crazier than my sainted grandmother.)

Sue aka MyDonkey Five: I'd forgotten the cemetary one, but yes! I passed out once while my mother and grandmother planted a tree on my grandfather's grave. (I figured if you had to hold your breath just driving by on the street, you'd darn well better hold your breath extra hard inside the walls!) BTW, I just have to tell you how much I love the service you're giving on your blog. (Note to all: This woman is sharing study questions for book groups. Her latest is for one of my favorite books: Fool Me Twice by Stephanie Black. I'm telling you, MDF is not only generous with her time and talent, she's got great taste!)

Karlene: I definitely think a healthy fear of vampires and werewolves counts! Possibly double. That's one I just can't share. When I was two or three I told everybody I wanted to be a werewolf when I grew up. (My maiden name was Wolfe and I was never a particularly bright child.) To this day my cousin calls me Werry. (I can't believe I just told this to anybody with Internet access and a rudimentary understanding of the English language.)

Jon: Oh, sure . . . bring in the calendar to confuse me. Glad you're a superstitious gamer, though. I have a friend who has to own Marvin Gardens every time she plays Monopoly. If she doesn't . . . well . . . I think the world ends or something. Fortunately, she is very, very good at getting her way. I think we're safe for a few more years.

Kelsi: I didn't know that about railroads and screws! (Thanks.) I do know that you must raise both your hands high in the air when driving over cattle guards. (Does anybody outside Arizona drive over cattle guards these days?) I have to cross one to get from the highway to my home. Thank goodness there's very little traffic on that road -- what with having to drive with my knees and all.

Deb: I predict that this will be a special year, indeed. You should all watch for this woman at the Storymakers Conference. She's about to take the world by storm. (A very well-written and entertaining storm.)

Daron: Robison Wells never reads the blog on Fridays. (He knows whose day it is.) Your secret's safe. (Not to mention much appreciated. When you're number six you try harder!)

Thanks, all! If any of the rest of you know superstitions we've missed, I still like to hear them. I will probably be awake half the night worrying about all the luck I may be missing out on . . .


9 Comments:

At 3/14/2009 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one that isn't really a superstition--maybe. My mother told never to say never as in "I'll never do that." and, I've found by sad experience, she was right. I don't say it and if my kids start to, I give them the same warning very quickly. Actually, if it isn't a superstition, it should be!

Marlene Austin

 
At 3/14/2009 1:25 AM, Blogger Paige's Pages said...

Hee hee! If its true that laughing helps you to lose a few calories then I should be a few pounds lighter right about now! :) I dont really have a lot of superstiitions... but judging by the fact that if I dont visit an Instacare and or ER at least once every 2 weeks Im doing good, maybe I should... Does anyone know how to reverse the effects of walking under a ladder? I still say that more strange stuff and people entering and exiting this earthy existance happens on or around a full moon than any other time so maybe I am... I'd better go locate that penny with my birth year. :)

 
At 3/14/2009 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Famous Last Words." Is that a superstition? I know whenever I hear anyone say something that sounds close to ... “Well, I think we’re safe now,” or, “It’s all down hill from here,” I run for cover knowing a piano is about to fall from the third floor right on top of that person’s head, and I don’t want to get hit by the debris.
Deb from Yuma

 
At 3/14/2009 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had known your grandmother - she must have been awesome!

Pat

 
At 3/14/2009 1:23 PM, Blogger MyDonkeySix said...

Kerry, I can't take the credit for the book club questions. Although I do read the books, that is all my husband. He is the genius behind all the amazing discussion and questions.

Sue

 
At 3/14/2009 7:25 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Oh Kerry, knock it off.

Daron, Friday is my favorite day, too.

:)

 
At 3/14/2009 8:32 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I don't know why, but driving over cattle grates makes me think of those JA Jance books.

I think I must picture your house the way hers is set up. =)

 
At 3/14/2009 9:00 PM, Blogger Liana Brooks said...

My own fan club! I'm so excited.

The ViS universe is actually on hold, and there are actually vampires in sci-fi. But I needed to step back from the book I was leading with and get a little bit better at building tension before I press on with that.

I can't think of any superstitions off hand. My family was never good with that sort of thing when I was young. We take the Miss Susan approach from the Discworld series, when in doubt, hit it with a poker. Monsters just seem to run away. :o)

 
At 3/16/2009 2:50 AM, Blogger Shanda said...

Awww, you're so sweet, Kerry! I'd totally let you!

Shanda :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home