Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Twilight Movie

by Sariah S. Wilson

So, I liked it. I expected to like it, I thought the trailers were pretty darn good (so much so that even my husband was interested in seeing it), and I enjoyed the movie.

The original studio that bought the rights to Twilight wanted to heavily alter the story so that it would have been nearly unrecognizable to fans. It didn't happen, and apparently Stephenie Meyer (who makes a cameo in the movie!) wasn't too keen on selling the rights again. But she was convinced by Summit Entertainment, who promised to stay true to the novel.

And they did - cheesy lines, over-the-top sentiment and all.

I didn't particularly expect Twilight to be a movie masterpiece. The novel is hardly a literary masterpiece. But I really enjoyed the movie. I liked seeing the characters on screen, liked watching their interaction - the leads had great chemistry together - liked watching some of my favorite scenes play out in a movie (Edward stopping the van, trying not to kill the guys harassing Bella).

Was it my favorite movie ever? Nope. Will I buy it on DVD and watch it again? Yep.

We went to a matinee show (we rely on Grandma to babysit, and it's easier for her to do it during the day at her house, and I prefer paying matinee rates and not fighting opening weekend crowds) which was still pretty packed, mostly by tween/teen girls and their parents. I can only imagine what it must have been like on the Thursday midnight showings or last night. I wonder what it must be like to be the person who caused all that to happen, to have your own teen girl minions that turn everything you do into an insta-success (I was reading that Twilight might place 14th or 15th on opening day totals. That's 14th place of any movie EVER, and reports estimate the movie only cost $37 million to make (and has already grossed $35 million, so in one day it made back nearly what the movie cost)).

As for whether I'd recommend it for a non-Twilight fan, I don't know that I would. A lot of the film's humor and subtext comes from having read the book. Like Edward's reaction when a fan blows Bella's hair. The fans in the showing I was at found it funny, knowing what he really thinks and why he's doing it. Or private moments of humor Edward has in the beginning of the movie - a fan knows what he's thinking and why he finds it funny and is thus in on the joke. It's easy to automatically fill in the blanks of what's happening on screen when something seems to be missing or doesn't make sense. (Like my husband going, "What was up with that Rosalie chick?" and I gave him the rundown of why Rosalie was so angry.)

Apparently the critics hated it, and I have to admit that I can't see it as a non-Twilight fan might see it. My love for the book pretty blatantly colored my opinion of the movie. But my husband, who's never read the books, enjoyed it as well (although he thought it needed more action and to be less chick-flicky girly at the end).

So for those who have seen it - what did you think? Were you a Twilight fan or just curious about the hype? Were you disappointed or did you enjoy it?


8 Comments:

At 11/22/2008 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never read the books, but I went to a Friday matinee showing. I liked it quite a bit. The special effects were terrible, and if anyone went expecting a vampire movie they were going to be sorely disappointed. But I went expecting a moody teenage romance, and I thought it really delivered in that department. The actress playing Bella in particular I thought did a great job.

 
At 11/23/2008 1:30 PM, Blogger hi, it's me! melissa c said...

I have read the books and I actually felt exactly like you. I loved the inside jokes, frequently laughed out loud and loved the romance. Were there things I think could have been better? Absolutely, but who cares?

Romance is romance.

 
At 11/23/2008 7:48 PM, Blogger Mark N. said...

It's official: after a $70 million opening weekend, the next movie, "New Moon", is definitely going to be made.

 
At 11/24/2008 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review - I've been holding out to see what people think of this movie before plonking down the bucks to see it. My daughter in law liked it too, so I guess I'll get in line...

Pat

 
At 11/24/2008 1:23 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I liked Twilight. I went into expecting that it wouldn't be just like the book. Of course, some things have to be changed to work in a movie.

There were some parts that I wish they wouldn't have changed, some that worked good for the flow of the movie. Some of the characters weren't exactly how I pictured them in my head, but I thought they did a good job casting.

I enjoyed being able to visually see the book on screen. My husband went to it. He said he liked it alright. He knew it was chick-fliskish. He said he liked the action parts pretty good.

 
At 11/24/2008 3:51 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I haven't read the books yet, but I saw a picture on a friend's Facebook of her and her friends in the theater. Looking all around them, I didn't see a single guy in the theater! =) (They enjoyed the movie, at least.)

 
At 12/01/2008 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't read the books or seen the movie yet, but my daughter-in-law, who was a huge Harry Potter fan, loved these from the moment I told her of them. I think I have perpetuated an addiction--sorry.

I don't see what the draw is for girls and vampires (I say 'girls' because the fan club roster reads like the subscriber list to Teen Heart-throb Magazine). Is it the sense of danger (infection from twin puncture wounds), the bad-boy image, temporary lack of sanity? I just don't get it--"OW! OW! You bit my ne....call me, okay?"

Oh, a word of warning: I have heard that 'vampires suck!' So, beware who you hang out with.

 
At 1/29/2009 11:22 AM, Blogger marissa said...

anonymous said,

i really really loved d mowie and im looking foward to seeing some more soon. it is so much better than eragon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home