Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Monday, November 10, 2008

A Mundane Review

I am madly typing away on my laptop, trying to finish Land Keep (Farworld Book 2) by Thanksgiving. So I thought I'd share a new review of Water Keep with you today. Here's the question you have to ask yourself. Can you have a book review that contains the word "mundane" six times in one paragraph, and still call it a good review? I would have said no until I saw this. But now I have to say yes. I'm glad the reviewer liked it. And it definitely made me laugh.

Reviewer's Bookwatch: November 2008
James A. Cox, Editor-in-Chief
Midwest Book Review
278 Orchard Drive, Oregon, WI 53575

Bhule's Bookshelf

Farworld
J. Scott Savage
Shadow Mountain
pmuir@shadowmountain.com
9781590389621, $17.95, www.shadowmountain.com

Being mundane is something that our non-magical world just is. But in J. Scott Savage's original fantasy novel, "Far World: Water Keep", we are introduced to Marcus, a mundane boy, who meets Kyja, a mundane girl when he finds himself thrust into a world that is different from own. Unfortunately for Kyja, her world is one of magic where she is considered weird for being simply mundane. The two mundane non-magical-user people are faced with an evil magical plot that could both affect the world of magic, known as Far World, and the mundane world of Earth. Kyja and Marcus embark on a quest that is gripping adventure from beginning to end, making "Far World" a solid pick for fantasy lovers and a popular addition to community library Fantasy & Science Fiction collections.

Willis M. Buhle
Reviewer

Thanks for the not so mundane review Mr. Buhle!


6 Comments:

At 11/11/2008 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to dust off my Webster’s dictionary and look up the definition of mundane, thinking that I misunderstood what Mr. Buhle meant with his review of your book, “Far World: Water Keep”, and I wasn’t wrong with what I remembered. And I really have to question if it was a bad review or a backhanded compliment.

My computer’s thesaurus came up with words like ... ordinary, everyday, commonplace, boring, dull, routine, ... well you get the idea. I have to tell you, J. Scott, I found absolutely nothing mundane about Marcus’s young life. There wasn’t anything boring or dull with the way he had to deal with his fellow classmates in those creepy schools he attended. And Marcus was ... is anything but ordinary, nor is his handicap commonplace, but his fighting spirit encourages every reader, and there isn’t anything routine about that.

I do agree with him on one thing, though. Right from the beginning Kyja and Marcus do have a jam-packed adventure that captivated my mind and heart.

Mr. Buhle should get out of his cubicle a little more often, and then maybe his life wouldn’t be so ... mundane.

Deb

 
At 11/11/2008 11:47 AM, Blogger Tamra Norton said...

As I read it, Mr. Buhle enjoyed the book--highly recommended it even. I loved it too! Great job, Jeff!

 
At 11/11/2008 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grand daughter was at one of the schools you visited recently, and met you at our public library - she can't stop talking about it.
She is reading the book to her family herself (she's in first grade!)
There is nothing mundane about the impression you are making on children everywhere.
Pat

 
At 11/11/2008 4:33 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Come on, cut the reviewer some slack. When we reviewers learns a new word we just have to use it as many times as possible.

 
At 11/11/2008 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like I said, a backhanded compliment.

I still don't like the word mundane in connection with Far World, no matter how many times he used it. Two negatives don't make a positive in this case. He should expand his vocabulary in a new direction. I'll even lend the guy my thesaurus. It's electronic. A no-brainer. It would give him antonyms, too.

Deb

 
At 11/11/2008 8:33 PM, Blogger Taffy said...

I left a review on my blog and I didn't use 'mundane'. Drat! I hope it is still a good review! :) taffyscandy dot blogspot dot com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home