Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Friday, October 05, 2007

Written in the Stars

by Kerry Blair

My maternal grandmother was a big believer in astrology. (Obviously, this is not the same woman who kept her worries in a box.) She read her horoscope religiously and planned her days accordingly. When something didn’t work out she declared it “just wasn’t in the stars.” When something did work out she was convinced it was because all the stars were aligned in her favor.

I’ve never had much (read: any) confidence in astrology. Just now when I went to look up my daily horoscope -- in case I wanted to use it in this blog -- I had to first figure out my sign. (There it is to the right. Maybe there is something to it. That looks a whole lot like me when I have too little sleep and a bad perm.) Anyway, if there is such a thing as stars aligning perfectly, I can assure you it’s happening tomorrow.

No really, it is! On 6 October 2007 the moon will ascend to the Seventh House while Jupiter aligns with Pluto (which I am sure is a planet despite those scientific naysayers who think otherwise and have nothing more than charts and graphs and computers full of data to back them up.) You all know what happens then, right? No? Then peace will guide the planets and joy will steer the stars . . . or something like that. (Frankly, I can’t remember the words to the stupid song, but now the melody will be stuck in my head all day.) What really happens tomorrow is that God in His infinite goodness and wisdom has:

  • Chosen this weekend to appoint a new apostle.
  • Brought playoff baseball to Wrigley Field. (This is big, folks. For sure it happens less often than Him appointing a new apostle.)
  • Returned my Marine son safely home to his native soil.

All on the same day! Don’t tell me that’s a cosmic coincidence. It is a miracle of Red Sea proportion at the very least.

Which brings me at last to the point of this blog: I know that each and every one of you will understand that with all the excitement coming up I simply cannot sit still long enough to blog. As much as I hate to admit it, there may be something to that horoscope thing, after all. Mine -- as it appears on AOL from which I also stole the picture -- says (and I’m not making this up):
Your feelings are aroused, yet it’s crucial that you contain yourself.

As if.

Note: The really exciting thing about the Cubs playing this weekend is that it's the Diamondbacks who are about to get their goat. (That's an inside Cubs joke, people. First one to get it wins a copy of "The Heart Has Its Reasons" -- a book about a Cub baseball player.) I hesitated to mention it in the body of the blog, though, because I know how sensitive poor Jeff is about his team. I suspect he never reads forewards or afterwards, so it's probably safe information tucked way down here. And I knew you'd want to know.)


12 Comments:

At 10/05/2007 3:04 PM, Blogger Utahdoula said...

"Get their goat" has reference to the Cubs curse - which has its roots in a fan bring a goat to the game and being denied entry, I believe!

 
At 10/05/2007 4:09 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Kerry, Kerry, Kerry. And I was just about to congratulate you on going up 2-0. Then you have to turn the knife that's lready embedded in my back. At least I can take solice in the complete and total domination the Indians showed over the most vile team in professional sports.

Congrats on your son coming back. That alone makes the star align. And as far as the song, I think it has something to do with turning 45 (as a January 31st baby), but I'm not sure.

 
At 10/05/2007 5:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL, Kerry! Goats are my favorite animal (next to horses) but I have no idea how they apply to your team. Getting the goat usually means getting comeuppance, doesn't it? Though I'm sure there's more to it than that.

That's excellent your son is due home. Celebrations all round.

 
At 10/05/2007 6:48 PM, Blogger wom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I would love to get to know you better too.
I was a die heart Diammonback fan the year they won the world series, then they disolved the team and I havent followed them sinse. I am very happy your son is comming home, I would be going out of my mind if it was one of mine. Will he have to go back? or is he through? What a wonderful weekend!

 
At 10/05/2007 7:10 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

I believe Jupiter aligns with Mars, and thankyouverymuch for getting THAT song stuck in my head!

I had a friend who was way into Astrology and boy, there was just no telling her how mad it was. Allow me to quote from a wise philosopher who has a few words to say on this subject:

"Now you may find it inconceivable or at the very least a bit unlikely
that the relative position of the planets and the stars could have
a special deep significance or meaning that exclusively applies to only you, but let me give you my assurance that these forecasts and predictions are all based on solid, scientific, documented evidence, so you would have to be some kind of moron not to realize that every single one of them is absolutely true."


Also, glad your son is back in the USA. Must be a relief for you. =)

 
At 10/05/2007 7:39 PM, Blogger Kerry Blair said...

Utahdoula: You just won yourself a book! (Yes, you have to take it.) Send me your snail mail address at kerrylynnblair@aol.com so I can make it so. (Fun web sites, by the way!)

Jon: Mars. Pluto. Whatever. If we're going to be picky I think it's love that's supposed to guide the stars but, really, who cares?
:-)

You're right, "Age of Aquarius" is an awful song to have stuck in your head. Especially when you don't know the words and wouldn't know what it was talking about if you did! Sorry about that. The only thing worse is "Give Said the Little Stream." Don't ask me why that one is on a continuous-play loop in my brain. I think it has something to do with an old mummy's curse or something.

WOM: He's home for a few months before a year-long tour of the Pacific. I sincerely wish they could ALL come home.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! Just think -- no more blogs about patriotism and Iraq. Maybe.

 
At 10/05/2007 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry, I am SO happy for you! Have a wonderful weekend!

Stephanie Black (too lazy to sign in)

 
At 10/06/2007 3:10 AM, Blogger Janette Rallison said...

What is all this baseball talk? Your son is coming home!!!Yay!

Now I will go back and sing the dawning of the age of aquarius . . age of aquarius . . . aaaaqqquuuarrriusss.

Oh yeah. Thanks for that song . . .

 
At 10/06/2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kerry - I'm so excited for you. More about your son coming home and general conference than the baseball game. But throw in a BYU football game and then we have something to talk about!

Have an absolutely wonderful day.

 
At 10/06/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Congratulations on your son's return! I think the Pacific is safer than where he's been, isn't it?

 
At 10/06/2007 7:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, folks, check out my blog for the new Cre8Buzz thing. Looks like becoming large--and huge--and massive--and any other enormous type word you can think of.

 
At 10/06/2007 10:11 PM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Dang--I didn't know what song you meant just by mentioning planets. But now that I know it's A of A, it'll be in my head all night!

Congrats on getting your son home safe and sound, Kerry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home