Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!


by Stephanie Black

I'm excited to go trick-or-treating tonight. My husband and I take turns each year--one of us hands out the candy at the door and the other takes the younger child/children trick or treating. This year is my turn to trick or treat. Wahoo! I love trick or treating. I love the glowing jack-o-lanterns and the ghostly decorations. I love the candy. It's true that at my age, I could buy a bag of candy if I'm so all-fired desperate for sugar, but that's not the point. Candy is much more fun if you get it by trick-or-treating. I love the scent of trick-or-treating candy, that mixture of chocolate and fruity candies and Twizzlers and Tootsie Pops, etc. That's a once-a-year smell. Mmm!

This year, my oldest daughter and her friend are taking my youngest daughter trick-or-treating. My middle daughter and son are going with a friend. That leaves my youngest son to come trick-or-treating with me. He didn't seem thrilled with this arrangement when we talked about it at Family Home Evening. "I want someone fast!" He was afraid I'd be too slow and wouldn't keep up with his frenzied pace. Oh my heck. In the words of the villainess Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove, "Does he have any IDEA who he's dealing with?" Son, I could trick-or-treat your little seven-year-old costumed self into the ground. Just try to keep up. Eat my dust. I am a champion trick-or-treater. We have a great neighborhood for trick-or-treating. It's very family friendly, and the houses are close together.

I'd better go put on my running shoes and do some stretches to get ready for tonight.

Happy Halloween!


7 Comments:

At 10/31/2007 6:59 PM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Stephanie, I loved the picture of the "Ghosts" shared on this post. Did you make those yourself? Way cool. And I agree, I love Halloween, and I'm looking foward to seeing the local trick-or-treaters tonight.

 
At 10/31/2007 8:26 PM, Blogger Evil HR Lady said...

We love Halloween as well. Princess Presto collected quite a bit of candy tonight. I was the mean lady at the door.

 
At 11/01/2007 12:06 AM, Blogger wom said...

Way to go..isn't it funny how they feel we are too old to keep up!! I also love the ghost, a great idea for me to add to my colection for next year...thanks..Happy Halloween

 
At 11/01/2007 1:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Cheri, yes, we made the ghosts. Our ward was in charge of the decorations for the youth Halloween dance, and at our planning meeting our Laurel advisor brought some ideas that she'd printed off the internet, including the milk jug ghosts. I thought they were darling and a great idea. Here's one site that gives instructions (though I didn't follow them--I just winged it)--Family Fun.com. We used tea lights when we used the ghosts outside and the battery operated tea lights for the dance in the gym. The Family Fun article suggests using a string of lights.

 
At 11/01/2007 9:55 AM, Blogger Cheri J. Crane said...

Thanks for the info, Stephanie. I printed out the page you mentioned and will file it away for an idea for next year. Way cool. =)

 
At 11/01/2007 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night was Halloween and it was so much fun!
I was a Army guy and I painted my face Camo.
don't you just love when nobody knows you and you can be anybody you want. for example usually I am really shy and don't talk alot in church and stuf. But last night I was talking to everybody and commenting on other kids costumes. of course most of the kids just saw my face and frowned or ran away from me.
Happy Halloween...yesterday

 
At 11/13/2009 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home