Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Sunday, May 06, 2007

If April Showers Bring May Flowers, What Do May Showers Bring?

By Sariah S. Wilson

Yesterday I felt the full weight of my procrastinating self.

First, a former visiting teacher (Hi Stephanie!) threw me a baby shower. It was such a nice time, and we didn’t have to play any baby shower games for which I was very grateful. Recently I saw the episode of Gilmore Girls where they threw Lane a baby shower, and one of the things they did was have out white onesies and fabric paint. I thought that was such a great idea, and especially since girls from my Primary class came with their moms, they ended up decorating onesies for me. They are so cute. I got a lot of fun pink baby clothes and a new high chair, which I desperately needed.

I didn’t get to eat any of the yummy food though. Why? Because with this pregnancy I got gestational diabetes. Apparently I wasn’t suffering enough what with the swollen limbs and not sleeping and constant puking and heartburn. Yes, now I must eat foods that make me throw up even more in an attempt to level out my blood sugars, and I have to eat constantly. I never thought I would say this, but I am so very sick of eating. I’m sick of pricking my fingers to test my blood.

Then on top of that, in a craze of madness, I decided that since for the first month of June my boys are going to be confined to the house (because I am one of those mothers that does not take my baby anywhere for four weeks) that since both of their birthdays are in May (with the baby being our third May birthday, my birthday in April, my husband’s birthday in June, our anniversary in June and Mother’s and Father’s Day in May and June) that we should throw them a big blowout birthday party because very soon their mother will be incapacitated and busy with a newborn. So I’m trying to get a handle on that and get those all planned and taken care of.

We also have to prepare the baby’s room. It’s an extra room that we use as storage currently, and it needs to be cleared out and painted and everything made ready to go. I thought I would have time to get it finished, but now as the baby is coming in only 23 days, I’m not sure how I’m going to get it done. It has to get done before she comes, because she has to have some place to sleep during the day since my husband has his office in our room.

I also have a book I need to finish and do some last minute research on. I’m about 3/4 done with it, but it is very slow coming and difficult for me to write. I wish I was one of those people who could just sit down and write and have the words flow out of me, but these days I feel like I’m fighting for every single word. Deadlines are no fun.

Also, my oldest will be getting baptized next week. My husband insisted it would be more special if the baptism took place on his birthday, which also happens to be Mother’s Day, so I don’t expect a big turnout for it. I didn’t realize all the planning we had to do and how much we have to get done in the week before it.

So now I turn to you for help - can you please suggest music/Primary songs that we can sing at the baptism that would be appropriate? Any program suggestions that you might have would be highly appreciated.


6 Comments:

At 5/06/2007 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "I'm trying to be like Jesus?"

Best of luck with everything! My suggestion is to make yourself a list of what ABSOLUTELY must be done to have the room ready for baby (like the junk cleared out and the crib set up) and a list of things it'd be nice to have done (pictures hung, etc.) and mobilize the forces (family, friends, home and visiting teachers).

 
At 5/06/2007 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a whole slew of Primary songs, "I Like My Birthdays," "Baptism," "When I Am Baptized," "This is My Beloved Son," and "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized." Some of these songs have been Primary program songs in recent years. We've had 7 kids get baptized. We usually have talks on Baptism and The Holy Ghost (we let the child pick who he/she would like to give those talks and the prayers and when my oldest son was ordained a priest we asked who the child wanted to baptize him/her--my oldest son baptized his younger brother and that was very cool-- now that my oldest is on his mission my husband does it) and then a special musical number which has included siblings, cousins, or my favorite was when a daughter asked me to sing a duet, "Teacher Do You Love Me," (we changed it to Mother) and I do NOT sing--sound just like a dead cow.

We do a simple program on our computer with a photo of the child and then type up the words on the inside to the Primary songs so everyone knows the words. It doesn't have to be stressful, especially when you're expecting a baby any minute.

Good luck with getting everything ready. It does take some doing.

Rebecca Talley

 
At 5/07/2007 12:11 AM, Blogger Josi said...

I love the 'Rainbow' song for baptisms, page 103 in the Children's Songbook--it's actual title is "When I am Baptized". As for the program, I love the ones where just one or two special people to the baptisee talk for just a few minutes, something short, at the kid's level and if they have a visual you'll get more of the kids' attention.

I also love to get before and after pictures of the kids with their dad, outside the baptismal font door in their nice clothes, and then wet afterward, but before they get dressed.

Good luck, it will be a great day. Keep in mind the baby can sleep in a laundry basket those first few weeks--it won't notice :-)

Best wishes,

And I'm fighting the writing right now as well...oy!

 
At 5/07/2007 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have all the advice you need for the baptism. But here's my two bits on the baby...Don't be afraid to ask for help! If that means on getting things set up and ready, then do it. I'm sure there are lots of ladies who would love to give you a hand if they knew you needed it. I'd do it myself (except fot the fact that I don't know you, where you live, and even if I did, you don't know me and probably wouldn't let me in your house... you see my point). We can't do everything ourselves, all of the time. Just ask for help and it will be there.

Rachel

 
At 5/07/2007 12:31 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, I'm just echoing everyone else because I think they're very wise. But I say, call out the cavalry! Let your VTers plan the birthday party. It's a different thing than they usually get called in to do, and they'll love it. Get the home teachers to clean out the baby's room. Have hubby take a major hand in the baptism. You've had a difficult pregnancy and you deserve to have all the help you can get! Now, if you're like me, you want to do everything yourself so it will be done just right -- don't be like me. :)

 
At 5/09/2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Sariah Wilson said...

Don't think I'll get much help on the home teaching front - after finally visiting us for the first time in over a year and a half, he indicated that since I have family nearby he would only be in the way if he tried to provide any help. :)

My husband is doing so much to plan the baptism - he's really taken it over. It should be a *very* small affair since we are having it on Mother's Day.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions - they are truly appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home