Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Late night musings or (Is it midnight yet?)

by Jeffrey S Savage

If you can't tell by the late posting, this has been a loonnnggg day. Wish it was because I got so much writing done, but no such luck. Started by flying from SLC to Tulsa, OK, late Sunday night. Didn't get to bed until nearly one and was up at 6:00. Seven business meetings and 350 miles later, it is 11:30 and I am in Tupelo, KS (I think.) So, I'll just throw out a couple of thoughts tonight. If they make no sense, blame it on sleep deprivation.

1) Kerry comment's do place things in perspective. But I have to say that often perspective is in the eye of the beholder. If I had spent 20 years building up a successful LDS bookstore chain and an LDS publisher was trying to destroy everything I'd worked for (after twenty years of selling their books.) I'd probably think that it was every bit as important as any world news. Obviously Iraq would be much more than news stories to me if a close relative of mine was serving there. If it was Kerry's favorite little bookstore (or mine for that matter) that was being attacked by DB, I think we'd both be outraged. I guess what I am trying to say is that something which is ho-hum to one person can be a big deal to another, and both can be right.

2) If you haven't checked out his site, go to www.jakonrath.com and check out his blog. You don't know what real author marketing is until you view his 60 day 500 bookstore car trip he is currently on. His mysteries are a little gory, but no body works harder to be a success than this guy.

3) A new bookstore is opening in Tooele on the 29th. It's about time, they have to drive all the way into Salt Lake to buy LDS books. And it's an independent actually opening instead of closing. Hurray! I'll be signing HOS at the opening.

4) My family and I often get really silly late at night, and often puns start flying. The latest episode started with my eight year-old son asking what the difference was between a motel and a hotel. My sixteen year-old said that motels were filled with people named Mo. After a brief pause, everyone in the car above the age of eight realized what that would make a hotel. After several jokes along the lines of that's why there are so many hotels in Las Vegas, we began coming up with other kinds of -otels. For example

Hotels that are not really what they seem: Faux-tels

Hotels that are always expanding: Grow-tels

The hotel where Ben Wallace stays. (The b-ball player. Note he has two hairstyles he constantly switches between) : Fro-tel or Corn row-tel depending on the day.

Hotels for tattle-tales: Go-tels

Hotels that constantly raises rates and decreases service: HMO-tels

Santa's hotel: Ho, ho, ho,-tels.

Now it's your turn. Goodnight and good luck. The winner gets a snip of Rob's hair and some of Julie's Canadian chocolate. Okay, not really. But Kerry will kill you in her next book. Okay not really but . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzz


2 Comments:

At 7/18/2006 2:04 AM, Blogger Johnna said...

Hotels for extraverted kindergartners:
Show'n'tels

 
At 7/18/2006 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I got tired just looking at the first page of Konrath's website. You can't help but wish a guy who works that hard all the success in the world! Still, I probably won't buy a book after the excerpt I read. Unfortunately, he's no Jeff Savage (the second-hardest working author I've ever heard of).

Okay, for my entries -- and I want the chocolate, not any hairball Rob coughs up:

Where Jeff will stay when on his book tour: Can'tnevertel.

How long I'll be working on my next book at the rate I'm going: Untel the 12th of Never. (That's like an Untel 6, but seedier.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home