Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Announcing the Frog Blog Haiku Contest

by Stephanie Black

‘Tis summer, season of sun, sand, sunscreen and snits (my children’s, when I tell them we have to clean up the house today too). Summer, the season when hearts turn to poetry.

Well, maybe not. But we can change that. Warm up that keyboard and get ready to write.

Remember haiku? You learned haiku form in high school. It was that unit lodged between dangling participles and iambic pentameter. Five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, five in the third. Ah yes, it’s all coming back to you.

Welcome to our Frog Blog Haiku Contest. It's time to put your haiku abilities to use. But we aren’t seeking graceful poems about nature and seasons. We want haiku about LDS fiction. Hey, what did you expect?

Your haiku must have something to do with any LDS novel, series of novels, or a character from an LDS novel. For example, you could take the main character from Jeff Savage’s House of Secrets and write:

Shandra Covington
Pigs out and never gains weight
I want to kill her

Or suppose you’re a big Robison Wells fan (his mother). You could write:

I read Counterfeit
I spewed Sprite out of my nose
It was worth the pain

The Rules:

*The haiku must follow the 5-7-5 syllable format.

*The topic of the haiku must have something to do with an LDS novel or character from a novel. Or it can be about several novels--for instance, you could write a haiku about why you enjoy the style of a particular author.

*The haiku can be funny, serious, dumb or startlingly brilliant. But it cannot be rude, crude or insulting or it will be disqualified.

*You can enter as many times as you want.

*The contest ends next Wednesday morning, July 26th, at 8:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time. All qualifying entries will then be entered into a drawing and a winner selected. Okay, I guess that, strictly speaking, it's not a contest, since the winner will be chosen randomly. But all the entries are sure to be marvelous, so how could we ever choose one?

The Prize:

The winner will receive his or her choice of an autographed copy of a novel written by one of our froggie bloggers. Latest releases are:

Julie Coulter Bellon, Time Will Tell
Stephanie Black, The Believer
Kerry Blair, Mummy’s the Word
Jeffrey S. Savage, House of Secrets
Robison Wells, The Counterfeit
Sariah S. Wilson, Secrets in Zarahemla. A note here--Sariah’s book will be released in Feb. 2007. So if the winner chooses Sariah’s book, Sariah will send him/her a little sneak preview plus an IOU for the book when it’s released.

Hey, that inspires me. I feel another haiku coming on:

Fans chew fingernails
Waiting for Sariah’s book
Nephite intrigue rocks

Let the festivities commence! Get in touch with your inner poet and get writing. Fame and maybe even a free book await you in the Frog Blog Haiku Fest!


25 Comments:

At 7/19/2006 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I hate Haiku
Vomit from my mouth doth spew
Oh wretched Haiku

;-)

 
At 7/19/2006 1:49 PM, Blogger Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Drama by Nunes
Mystery by Blair and Green
My favorite books

OR

Wild West by Hansen
History and Adventure
Jennie can do all

 
At 7/19/2006 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only Time Will Tell
If All’s Fair when Julie B.
Has you On the Edge.

 
At 7/19/2006 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more...

I should be writing.
Instead I’m reading funny,
funny Kerry Blair.

 
At 7/19/2006 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie Black seems
Normal when you meet her, but
Her book scared us all.

 
At 7/19/2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Marion Jensen said...

Ok, I know Rob pretty well. Or rather I've met him twice, and pretend to know him pretty well. So this is Buckly original is dedicated to (and about) him.

Robison Wells
Breaks all the meter rules
Writing haikus

 
At 7/19/2006 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Willard Boyd Gardner's Race Against Time and Pursuit of Justice--

Hunky cop Owen
The hottest SWAT guy around
I think I'm in love

 
At 7/19/2006 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't help myself--

Could Felix Hazard
be Rob Wells' alter ego?
Possible indeed

 
At 7/19/2006 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerry Blair's Mummies
kept me up all night reading
could not put it down

 
At 7/19/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

I've had just about
Enough of this Robison
Wells bashing, you punks.

 
At 7/19/2006 10:59 PM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

LDS Authors
Write books for a very few
Go get a day job

 
At 7/20/2006 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are all too funny. I'll come up with something when I get my brain plugged back in.

 
At 7/20/2006 1:24 AM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Robison E Wells
Can dish but cannot take it
The E stands for Waaaah

 
At 7/20/2006 1:30 AM, Blogger William said...

lock seven habits
inside a Christmas box worked
from whited glory

 
At 7/20/2006 1:32 AM, Blogger mean aunt said...

Okay, the Mean Uncle is afraid I am picking on Rob. So how about

A daisy-picking
Artichoke-eater is a
Great faux epithet.

 
At 7/20/2006 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't write haiku.
I've tried, but my syllables
Won't come out right.

Next time can we try chiasmus?

 
At 7/20/2006 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LDS fiction:
What a treat for people who
seek for clean good reads!

You guys are too funny!

 
At 7/20/2006 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The news makes me think
All books should be at WalMart
And end this long feud.

 
At 7/20/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger mean aunt said...

william morris--your poem is too funny!

 
At 7/20/2006 2:51 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Julie C Bellon
Thinks I don't tease her enough.
Rest assured: I will.

 
At 7/20/2006 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Stephanie Black's The Believer --

Scott "Seven" Siskell
so obnoxious "Five" offed him
couldn't help himself

 
At 7/20/2006 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I made the mistake of reading his book during Silent Reading time--

Hey Robison Wells
You got me in trouble for
laughing during class.

 
At 7/20/2006 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LDS fiction-
I wish they had it at my
local library

 
At 7/20/2006 6:00 PM, Blogger William said...

Mean Aunt:

Anything to make you happy -- and keep you from pinching my cheeks.

 
At 7/22/2006 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mouse doots in the loo
should not have shared this with Rob
goodbye dignity

 

Post a Comment

<< Home