Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Calling Interested Bloggers

by Stephanie Black

Cold as Ice will be released in just a couple more weeks, so I’m looking for twelve interested bloggers who’d like a review copy. If you’re interested, leave a comment in the comment trail.

I do understand that agreeing to review a book by someone you know, or at least sort of know in a theoretical kind of way because you read her blog can be tricky, because, um, what if you really dislike the book? You might worry that this could create an awkward situation when the author approaches you in a darkened parking lot after the next writers conference, encroaches on your personal space, cracks her knuckles, and says, “So, Sally, you didn’t like my book, eh?”

Worry no more! In the event that you heartily dislike my book, I have provided a handy review that you can just cut and paste into your blog. It’s perfect for those awkward two-star situations where you don’t quite know what to say.

I recently read Stephanie Black’s latest release. When I pick up something to read, I want it to be a book, and wow, Black has certainly written a book! One thing I find vital to a book is pages, and this has plenty of pages. The story started right on page 1 and didn’t end until page 296. The ink is clear and dark and the chapter numbers are absolutely consecutive—no flaws at all.

This book contains both male and female characters, with a variety of ages and hair colors. There’s even a teenager! And I’m glad I’m not a character in Black’s books, because they always have huge problems. Can’t one of her characters just get a puppy or a birthday present or have a really fun summer for once?

The writing itself includes punctuation and many different parts of speech, including nouns. Every novel I’ve ever loved has had nouns. This book even has proper nouns.

Things happen in this book, followed by other things. I don’t want to give spoilers, so I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a plot. If you’re looking for a book to read, this is a book, and can be read.


There you have it. But in all seriousness, if you don’t like it, you don’t have to pretend you do. Feel free to be candid. If you’d like to give it a try and are willing to review it over the next couple of months, drop a comment in the comment trail. If I get more than twelve comments, then I’ll draw names. Happy reading!


34 Comments:

At 7/14/2010 5:16 PM, Blogger Tristi Pinkston said...

Me! Me!

 
At 7/14/2010 5:26 PM, Blogger Deanne said...

Count me in
Deanne

 
At 7/14/2010 5:28 PM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

And me. (Unless the book stinks, in which case, NO WAY.)

 
At 7/14/2010 5:29 PM, Blogger G.G. Vandagriff said...

Stephanie, You know what a huge fan I am! I would love to review your book on my blog, Amazon, Goodreads, and DB. Just have them send me one. Would love to have you review my women's fiction coming out end of Sept/early Oct. Let me know if that would work. Am giving Crazy Ladies some time to settle and reworking an old romantic suspense right now. Pretty lame, compared to yours!

 
At 7/14/2010 5:33 PM, Blogger Jon Spell said...

My personal advice for those who would read Stephanie's latest and give it a poor review: walk down steps very carefully!

I'm predicting a spike of Foreigner downloads on iTunes with the release of your book, too. =)

Glad you're back and survived Girl's Camp!

(P.S. No need to enter me in the drawing!)

 
At 7/14/2010 5:40 PM, Blogger Karen E. Hoover said...

Me, me! Pick me, please! I would really love to review your book. :D

 
At 7/14/2010 5:47 PM, Anonymous Emily M. said...

Can I review it for Segullah? But would it be okay if I included it in a post with other smaller reviews, or would you prefer that the review be exclusive?

 
At 7/14/2010 5:55 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Me, me, me. I would love to review your new book

 
At 7/14/2010 5:58 PM, Blogger Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh! I would LOVE to review your book, Stepnanie! =)

Danyelle@FergusonAuthors.com

 
At 7/14/2010 6:01 PM, Blogger Kelsi Rose said...

I would gladly review your book. I did your last one.

 
At 7/14/2010 6:15 PM, Blogger Gamila said...

I would love to read your book too!

gamila.walrus@gmail.com

 
At 7/14/2010 6:20 PM, Blogger T.J. said...

Oo, can I try to get in on this.

 
At 7/14/2010 6:54 PM, Blogger Mormon Surrogate: I'm not the mom I'm just the stork said...

I would very much like a copy to review.

Good luck with your book, how exciting!

 
At 7/14/2010 8:09 PM, Blogger Valerie Ipson said...

Man, I'm like commenter number 14 or something. If I didn't miss the deadline, I'd like the chance to review.

And I laughed out loud at your book review. classic! Can I use it sometime? I'll give you credit.

 
At 7/14/2010 8:10 PM, Blogger Valerie Ipson said...

But I won't need to use the review if I get the chance to review your book. Definitely not!

 
At 7/14/2010 8:45 PM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

You know I will!

Until you mentioned that whole cornering-at-a-writer's-conference thing. I don't know if you guys realize this, but Stephanie is tall. I mean, technically, I'm tall, but she's taller.

I'm scared....

(And so late to this party. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to buy it. Darn.)

 
At 7/14/2010 9:04 PM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, everyone! No worries if you're posting past #12--I'll just draw twelve names randomly from all the comments (or have more then 12 reviewers, depending on how many review copies I can get my hands on).

Valerie, feel free to use the "review" however you like :)

Emily M., including it with other reviews is fine.

GG, I'm looking forward to reading your book!

Jon, ha ha, good one! And yes, I survived girls camp. It was quite the first year--I'll tell you about it sometime--but even with the challenges--and in some cases because of the challenges--it was a good year.

 
At 7/14/2010 9:39 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I would love to! I am not a published writer but I review books on my blog. I am always on the look out for a great book!

 
At 7/14/2010 9:40 PM, Blogger Suzanne Lucas said...

That was the best review ever. I'd ask for a review copy but you know I'd never get around to actually writing a review and, well, my audience isn't exactly the market you're looking at.

 
At 7/14/2010 11:13 PM, Blogger Taffy said...

Am I to late to ask to be a reviewer?? I'd love to read it!

 
At 7/15/2010 12:30 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

When I got home from class and read this I was excited until I saw there were so many comments. But then you said there would be a drawing. I got excited again. maybe, maybe I can do a review for you!!

(well, I'll do one even if I have to buy the book and stay up until 2 a.m. reading and be afraid to turn my back to the window and have to sleep with the lights on for weeks again. But I will enjoy every minute of it.)

 
At 7/15/2010 1:02 AM, Blogger Jolene Perry said...

Okay, so I realize that by adding my name, I'm just making your drawing pile longer, but I'd like one too! I also don't know you that well, so it wouldn't be awkward at all ;)

 
At 7/15/2010 1:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to help out as well!

 
At 7/15/2010 9:22 AM, Blogger Alison Palmer said...

I'm happy to help if you need me!

 
At 7/15/2010 10:09 AM, Blogger Krista said...

"The writing itself includes punctuation and many different parts of speech, including nouns. Every novel I’ve ever loved has had nouns. This book even has proper nouns."

That was hilarious. I'm entering!

 
At 7/15/2010 4:03 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Add me to the growing list!

 
At 7/15/2010 6:19 PM, Blogger Karlene said...

Oh, man! I hate it when work interrupts my real life. I just now read your post. I'd love to review your book but it looks like I'm out of luck. :(

 
At 7/15/2010 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That had to be the best book review I've ever read! I'm pre-ordering your book.

Anonymiss

 
At 7/15/2010 8:05 PM, Blogger Marsha Ward said...

Stephanie, I'm going to use your review, just as it is, on my blog, so no need to include me in the drawing.

I laughed and laughed. I hope my readers will buy your book after they get up from rolling on the floor.

Marsha

 
At 7/16/2010 2:50 PM, Blogger cspokey said...

I'd love to do it!

 
At 7/16/2010 5:32 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Stephanie, I'll get a review copy from your publisher so don't include me in your drawing. I have to say your review reminds of a charming review Dan Yates wrote once. I don't have a copy of it, but I remember he said he liked books that have words, lots and lots of words, and those little black marks at the end of sentences. I loved your review, but somehow I don't think I'd get away with using it.

 
At 7/16/2010 6:16 PM, Anonymous Jordan McCollum said...

Reading over your review again, I think you should totally add in a passing comment that someone got a puppy and/or had a really fun summer in your next book. . . . (I love inside jokes!)

 
At 7/17/2010 1:15 AM, Blogger Kimberly Job said...

I'd love to review your book!

 
At 7/19/2010 2:04 PM, Blogger Melanie Jacobson said...

I don't need a review copy. I'll buy it just like I have all your other ones. But I had to say I love the review. I think I've had to do a couple of those. *Mops brow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home