Six LDS Writers and A Frog

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Random Weirdness

Just got back from a week doing school visits in California. We had a ball and sold lots of books. In fact we sold the Barnes and Noble in Roseville completely out of books, and I have to admit it was pretty cool when they said the only authors to have bigger signings there were Janet Evanovich and Stephenie Meyer. They even brought little cups of hot cocoa to the people waiting in line. How cool is that?

A few random thoughts from the road.

I don’t know about anyone else, but the perfect driving snacks for me are a combination of mini Butterfinger candy bars, corn nuts, mini Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, and beef jerky. If I ever have to trade with natives, I am leaving the beads and trinkets at home and bringing those.

You know that thing you did in science class where you stuck one hand in hot water and the other in cold water, then put them both in room temperature water? Apparently Utah is the cold water glass. It was raining and like 57 degrees in the bay area, and everyone was acting like it was a freezer while we were walking around in shorts and basking.


Possibly the funniest book to ever be banned by a school is The Flim-Flam Fairies by Alan Katz. It starts with the tooth fairy explaining how you can get some money for your tooth, but she is quickly replaced by such nefarious fairies as the booger fairy, the dirty underwear fairy, the toenail fairy, and even the fart fairy. On the last page, the poop fairy wants to know if he is too late. I think the poop thing may have pushed it over the edge. Talking about poop is taking your chances in the grade school crowd. But I laughed my head off. (Which just goes to show that I am still stuck in the potty humor stage.)









Another fun picture book (which doesn’t include the words fart or poop) is You Can’t Go to School Naked, by Diane Billstrom. Diane is a wonderful person and friend of my parents who dropped by the store and bought books for her grandkids.



Clayton Books in Concord, California, still has to be one of the best indy bookstores ever. They showed me and my family a great time, we sold two-hundred books, and I got signed copies of A Series of Unfortunate Events, book 1, and a Bizarro pirate book. Thanks Joel and family, Vinitha, and the rest of the staff. You guys are awesome.



I completely agree that Hunger Games is great. I read it a couple of months ago and it is awesome. I am also reading the Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix, and have to say how amazing he is. I also love Neil Gaiman (congrats on winning a well deserved Newberry for The Graveyard Book, which I loved), but I was really disappointed by Stardust. One of those cases where I kept thinking how much better I liked the movie. Oh well, I have loved everything else I’ve read by him.



The greatest hot dogs in the world are Caspers in Pleasant Hill. I wish they would bring Caspers, In’N’Out, and Jack in the Box, out here to Utah. But then again, maybe they don’t come to cold water states.


12 Comments:

At 1/27/2009 1:27 AM, Blogger Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Jeff, that is so cool. I'm glad to hear of your successful signings- you're in impressive company with Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Meyer.

As for fifty-ish weather, wow, I can only dream. ;-)

 
At 1/27/2009 1:46 AM, Blogger RobisonWells said...

Maybe this fits more on Sariah's blog, but I just started reading The Hunger Games today. The story is neat, but: present tense? What the crap? Maybe I'll get used to it as the story goes, but right now it's really grating.

 
At 1/27/2009 8:57 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Having been raised in San Diego and now living in Nebraska I can say I miss the warm weather and especially Jack in the Box. Every trip to CA must include almost daily stops to Jacks.

 
At 1/27/2009 10:20 AM, Blogger Annette Lyon said...

Our Jack experience hasn't been impressive. I don't get the thrill.

My brain is still spinning over 200 books sold at a signing. Holy cow. Congrats!

 
At 1/27/2009 10:40 AM, Blogger Stephanie Black said...

Ha ha, yes, we do get very wimpy about the weather here. Yesterday I was thinking how cold it was--it was somewhere around the high forties, low fifties.

Congrats on a great tour! Wish I'd known you were going to be here--I need to pay attention to your schedule. I'm currently reading Farworld to my son.

 
At 1/27/2009 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Whatever you do, do NOT mention Caspers hot dogs to my husband, or he'll be bribing you to bring some back for him! My poor brother in law has to bring them every time he comes to Utah for a visit!

Sounds like you had a blast! I can't wait till I get to do things like that!

 
At 1/27/2009 1:36 PM, Blogger Jennie said...

Jack in the Box? I've been unfortunate enough to try them in two different states and they left me totally unimpressed. Now In and Out, that's another story. Great memories.

 
At 1/27/2009 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

200 books?!? That is amazing!!! Congrats on having such successful signings!

And..you should try EZ Take-out burger in Orem. It's a lot like In-N-Out (or as close as you can get in Utah, anyway) and really good.

 
At 1/27/2009 4:41 PM, Blogger Heather Moore said...

Big Congrats on your book signing success!

Love In and Out, can pass on Jack in the Box.

You much like Chadders in AF--reminds me of In and Out.

 
At 1/28/2009 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff I can't take it anymore! Your title is misspelled.

I still love you but remember "we" are "weird."

 
At 1/29/2009 1:59 AM, Blogger Jeff Savage said...

Just for you, DW. Cause spelling is like number 372 on my list of important things in life or writing. Somewhere below pagination and font size.

 
At 1/29/2009 6:23 PM, Blogger Jennie-O said...

We do have an In'N'Out in UT, it's just in St. George....Chadders, is nothing like In'N'Out though. I am one of those weird Californians who is very loyal to In'N'Out and Chadders has nothing on them. I do miss Jack in The Box too. They have good stuff, I like their crunchy tacos made with mystery meat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home